• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Head gear or no head gear?

I think it depends on experience. New fighters should wear head gear in early bouts for that extra protection.

Stats show that people heading a soccer ball are just as likely to get some damage as an amateur boxer.

Any thoughts.

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I think that is true but It does depend on how hard you hit the ball :nod: or how hard the ball is comming to you

also how hard the boxer is hitting you in the head since you can't keep your hands up I think that The worst would be punched in the nose :nod:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

In my 2nd Thai fight we had to wear headguards. My opponent hit me so hard with a left hook that it spun my headguard around 90 degrees so that I was looking out of the ear hole - or trying to! LOL! He could have backed off at that point while the ref took time to adjust it , but no - he kicked me so hard in the head that he detatched the auditory nerve in my ear - so now I wear a hearing aid. Doh!

Headguards are great :cry:

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

That is one of the problems with headgear. Not just the slipping around, but the difficulty in seeing hooks coming or well executed kicks from the outside. I have had my nose broken twice and I still think the hooks to the side of my head that I never saw have been the most damaging. The original intent of headgear was just to protect fighters from cuts not significantly reduce concusive impact.

:dead:

Osu!

One cannot choose to be passive without the option to be aggressive.

[ This Message was edited by: Punchdrunk on 2002-02-09 10:37 ]

One cannot choose to be passive without the option to be aggressive.

i dont like headgear but i gotta wear it any way since i am an amateur.......i think it just gives you a false sense protection because i have sparred with and without headgear and getting hit in the head without wearing headgear feels just the same while i am wearing it

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Many people find wearing protective headgear to be cumbersome and vision-limiting. One nice blow to the temple can cause serious damage. However these limitations of wearing protective headgear can train us to focus more on detecting kicks and punches by the movements we see in the opponent's torso. Many people believe in looking into an opponents eyes, but I personally feel this brings our gaze too high to accurately see kicks within our peripheral vision, and a fighter (at least a good one!) can feint with their eyes. By remaining calm, and focused on our opponent's torso, we can see each attack, even as the opponent is preparing to deliver it, and then we can respond that much quicker.