• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shotokan karate

Little Dragon

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We have quite a few shotokan people on the board. Before you start worrying about how things will work on the street you must remember that taking up a martial art is a process. It will take you a while before you can truly use what you have learned. Tradition all has to do with the teacher. It is derived from one of Okinawa's older karate lineages Shuri-te I do believe, someone please correct me if I am incorrect. I don't mean to be if I am. Some teachers are big into tradition, while others are a little more "modern" so to speak. It depends on the person.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

hey...yea i think the 'tradition' depends a whole lot on the instructor...im JUST starting shotokan and the instuctor is very into kata, basics, the reasoning behind it all, andto me the style is linear long, but fast and strong movements, im not going to say more on it because i really have no expierence..and he focuses less on the sparring/full contact... having expeirence is always good, jsut like in street fighting. im not saying jsut get experience by fighting people, but understand that jsut learning a MA isnt going to make you kick arss...actually i still need to understand that..haha

People ask this question, often because they are looking for a way to get efficient fast. It just doesnt work that way.

There is no drive through Karate school, where you can order upsized physical development growth... sorry

Shotokan is an excellent school and there are many other good schools.

How much are you personally prepared to sacrifice to get good?

How much pain can you take, in the seeking of your goals?

Do you even know what your goals are exactly?

If you dont know what your goals are, how can you achieve anything?

Do you want to know who is limiting your abilities to grow and develop?

Go and have a chat with that guy in the mirror, he IS responsible!

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Here is a link to our katas, which should give you a pretty good introduction.

http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-72482/page3.html

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Speed ,power ,grace are the main factors of shotokan. shotokan system is to maximise the power of techniques through correct usage of the whole body ,to develop how to maximise the speed of the techniques by using the correct breathing and the use of muscles .

It is very effective in the street once a certain level of understanding and competency has been achieved ,once basics have been mastered and one moves beyond that stage to develop his own range and understands his own body type and use the stance and techniques that works best for him.

To start ,novice students learn long range stances and techniques to develop their body and mind ,long and hard training is needed to make them work like second nature.

Imagine shotokan as a tree , the trunk of the tree is the basics that one learns in the beginning ,this must be strong and powerful . then comes the branches that are soft and flexible and fast .

Shotokan is strong in the centre ,soft and agile in the outside.

but it is a long and at times slow process ,sometimes frustrating as one gets stuck behind what seems to be a brick wall ,but with perseverence and good instruction it will reward the practitioner fully.

never give up !

Shotokan is a power style but has a huge focus on speed and techinque to make that power.

Breakdown its about 60 punching to 40 kicking with a lot put on blocking and shifting.

The reverse punch and side thrust kicks are prob the 2 most noticable moves of a shotokan student.

HUGE imporanct placed on kata and its practice.

tons of hidden moves like throws, sweeps, pressure points, grappeling that is in it but not taught on the surface and espically to beginners.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

^^^

Kata is focused on a lot.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I agree; in my dojo however we also do a lot of kihon. But not as much sparring as I'd personally like.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu