• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Breaking necks

Every time I read about breaking necks on a public forum it sends shivers down my spine. Discussing how to break necks on a public forum will most likely lead to one teenager breaking another teenager’s neck by accident.

And it is absolutely unnecessary to have this knowledge in order to defend one’s self on the street.

But obviously people aren’t going to stop posting this information.

A minute of experience on the street is worth a year of training in the dojo.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. It is irrisponsible because, unlike say guns, it is easy to practice and do by accident -fortunately the people who talk about this kind of stuff usually don't have a clue (regardless of how scientific they appear) so not too much gets out.

People hear what they want to hear....

http://www.armbell.com/forum/banners/mabattleground.jpg

http://www.armbell.com/forum/index.php?mforum=mabattleground

That's good though! You should not consider breaking a person's neck. Period.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I suppose.

I haven't really made a big deal about breaking necks or using neck/head techniques or really seen much of it (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places). I think such training is necessary. I haven't gone into detail about it since I agree, there are enough things to talk about without discussing that.

But to rule it out completely is cutting short your martial training. I don't get squeamish about thinking the thought that I may have to kill someone. I think such things are necessary if you're going to train in a martial art rather than doing a sport.

That occurence is still highly unlikely (unless I'm in a combat situation, which given my specialty code isn't necessrily a given), but it is still something that is part of the training. You don't really train to mess around, and I don't intend to use my training unless I absolutely have to because there is a risk of someone getting hurt. Don't misquote me or misinterpret what I'm saying. I'm not saying even if I do use my training I'll automatically go and break someone's neck. I'm just saying the possibility is there given the situation.

In all likelihood, it isn't necessary to have the knowledge of how to break someone's neck to defend yourself on the street. Nor is it necessary to post that information all over an internet forum (again, I haven't seen too much of it, but I may just be reading different threads than you). But I still keep that in mind and train to do so because I am studying a martial tradition.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

While I do not completely disagree with your opinion on training, I do respect it. I personally do not agree with training to kill, nor could I condone the training's use in real life. My morals do not preclude the necessary of lethal training for military and police, but I definitely don't agree with them. Nor do I agree that what I do is a martial art in the militaristic and lethal sense. I do not train to kill, I train to defend myself and if need be to subdue the attacker.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I have to agree with Shorin Ryuu. While the possiblity of the situation ever arising is remote we still train for it. Every single time I work out it's part of what we do. I too have not seen much about it on the net.

While the possiblity of the situation ever arising is remote we still train for it.

Please describe the scenario other than war, where it would be necessary to break someone’s neck.

While the possiblity of the situation ever arising is remote we still train for it.

Please describe the scenario other than war, where it would be necessary to break someone’s neck.

I'll take this one:

1. Multiple opponents hell bent on doing you serious, or fatel harm.

2. Any sort of deadly weapon used against you. (knife, gun, baseball bat).

The law of this state, and probably most others, allows you to use deadly force if you are truly in fear of losing your own life. Below is the state law for Montana concerning deadly force.

However, he is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or serious bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Re multiples and armed opponents

Attempting something as difficult as breaking necks instead of the simpler and higher percentage moves and then escaping is very James bond and highly unrealistic.

Neck breaking techniques are a part of some MAs, and shouldn't be ruled out. Whether you agree with them or not, they are a part of training for a large number of people, and have the same right to be on the forum as anything else.

Think about it, any kid can come on here, look at a technique that one of us posts, try it, and injure/kill someone. Are we going to stop our learning experience here just because of that meager chance? I'm not going to. The forum isn't responsible for what people do with the information we post, and the information here can be found elsewhere online anyway.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.