• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WKA tournament

Chado

Has anyone competed in a World Karate Association tournament before? This Saturday marks my first time...I'm a little nervous since this is at a different level then I am used to. I place rather well in the 'normal' goju tournaments (point sparring). This is point sparring to, similar to WKF rules but 'contact may be heavy as long as its controlled' and 'contact must be made to score point' and finally 'disqualification is unlikely unless poor sportsmanship is demonstrated'.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone had been involved in this before...is it good clean fun usually? Or is it a bit of a blood bath? I guess I'll find out Saturday but I like to know what I am headed into ;)

Thanks,

Chado

****NOTE****

Perhaps I should of put this in the sport forum? If so feel free to move it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I also haven't but am interested in hearing about your experiences. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Well I made the team for the nationals, I'll be competing in the Canadian Nationals in May so I am trainging for that (Kumite only).

It's not nearly as clean as the WKF, but it's more competitive than any Shihai / Regional I've been to for 'regular' organizations. I'm told the judging is much better at the Worlds and even at the Nationals (It doesn't matter quite as much with Kumite as it does with Kata but still).

My sensei did a VERY clean suparimpei and was beat by a sloppy Kurunfa. Because we do traditional Goju-Ryu and we don't run around yelling like they do in some styles (ok that's a bit exaggerated...no offense to anyone doing 'those styles' but you know what I mean?)

Anyway the other cool thing I guess was Elvis Stoicko was there. He does Kung Fu and competed in that and a weapons kata. I have a picture of him and my sensei and what not I guess I could post, but it's nothing fancy they are just standing for a photo :)

Anyway that's my thoughts...see you at the worlds :) (that's optimistic thinking :) )

Chado

I'm going to move this to the Sport forum. :)

Chado, I'd be interested in seeing your photo - even if your Sensei and Elvis Stoicko are 'just standing there.' ;)

Good luck to you for the competition - let us know how you get on! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Yes, good luck. :)

- Sun-tzu

Right on, I didn't know that Elvis Stojko did Hun-Gar. So who's-who in this photo (other than Elvis)?

- Sun-tzu

Left to right:

Meaghersensei, is the owner of Northwest Goju : http://northwestgoju.org/ Also the only black belt in Canada certified in the dragon society http://www.dragonsociety.com and he did kung fu for a million years (ok maybe not that many) really great guy, I get to train with him from time to time as he is my sensei's sensei. Also at all the DSI seminars he is there to beat me up good. :)

Next is christine, his wife she's great at kata as well...hopefully they both make it to the worlds for kata (they are going to the nationals).

Elvis: you already knew that :)

My sensei! Lemieuxsensei http://www.tigerslairkarate.com his last big win was the 2001 goodwill games in Mexico for kumite. but he does really well at the local stuff...he is going for kata to the nationals.

And the last one on the right is my sensei's girlfriend...who also trains at the same school as me ;) She didn't compete in this event though so we'll give her less air time :P

And me and my friend James were a BIT busy sparring when this picture was taken or we would of probably squeezed in the end of it :)

Oh and if you go to the first link I posted there is a ton of pictures from different seminars...you can see me getting beat up pretty good during the pressure point seminars (but I guess you might not know who I am since I never posted a picture?) All the same the pictures are good :)

Chado

ps. cathal i'm just curious but what part of Canada are you from? Are we close neighbours or are you on the other side of the country?

• 2 weeks later...

hi im new to this forum,

ive heard good things about the wka worlds and this year will be my first, i qualified last year but had to pull out due to injury, so all being well i'll see you there,

good luck!

sticks and stones may break my bones, but i am trained to kill you.