• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Deadliest Move?

June1

Hey, guys!

A friend of mine who practiced tae kwon do for many years, and who recently found out that I practice karate, asked me the other day what the deadliest move in karate was. I honestly don't know if one exists, but I told him that any strike to the neck could do you in if done with enough force.

What do you think? Does such a "deadly" move exist?

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this has a lot to do with the individual executing the move. How strong is your open hand? Can you use a nikah-tei (sp?) to pierce through the body? A strike to the neck would work as you said...any way it's done...If your hand is conditioned for it though I would say open hand between the ribs perhaps?

I don't know...discussing this may get some people thinking others are a tad brutal ;) Perhaps I'll give up on this for now and see if anyone else says anything... :karate:

The "deadliest move" does not exist. Obssession with techniques rather than principles often creates this fallacy in thinking.

So you're basically going with 'its not the technique but the practitioner'? That's pretty much what I was saying but I just 'thought out loud' for a minute so to speak.

Even if someone knows 100000 techniques that doesn't make them as good as the guy who knows 5 techniques and can execute them in his sleep...

Anyway that's my thoughts.

Chado

Yeah, something similar. Again, it's not even if the person knows five techniques really well or five hundred techniques really well (or just okay). The circumstances will always have infinite variations from one to the next, so you can't even focus on just knowing five techniques really well. You just have to think about the principles behind them. Knowing five techniques really well isn't quite exactly the same thing as knowing the principles behind them and not learning more simply because you don't need to...you can adapt it to create an infinite amount of techniques...well, whatever you need to. There IS probably a limit to how many practical variations you could do, somewhere down the line. But using the word technique itself shows a bias in direction (or an invitation for a foray into semantics).

Saying you only need to know five techniques well is saying those techniques will work because you know them well. Again, just a slight difference in emphasis. The exact statement of what you say may mean what I am saying, and it may not (depending on who says it and what their opinion is). I'm either refuting you (and that classic argument) or coming up with a better way (in my opinion) of saying what you intended.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Ahh! Thank you for the clarification.

Actually the 'torite-jutsu' I have listed as one of my styles is in part a style that does adaptations of techniques to different situations. I agree 150% with what you are saying. We always say 'a block is a punch is a throw is a submission' because it can really be anything depending on the situation. As you said there is no '1 right answer' for each situation, it depends on factors such as the individuals (size/skill/weight/how good they are feeling that day...maybe someone had a bad nights rest?) to the enviroment to everything else.

So in conclusion...I agree 150% :)

Chado

Yup. One of these days, they should just sticky one of these questions, as it comes up very frequently. That, or stick a thread demonstrating the use of the mystical "Search Button" that is rather lonely all the way up there...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

The "deadliest move" does not exist.

Does to exist:

Deadliest move-

Eat lots of chili & onions

Turn your back to your opponent

Bend over

Spread your cheeks

Hold your breath

Rip off a nasty stinky one that'll make his eyes water

Run before you smell it

:P :D :P :D

Um... *run away* :P How about no?

Thanks for the responses, guys. Any more out there?

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."