• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

new guy!...shotokan/kempo questions!..

osuperu

SOrry if my questions have been answered somewhere else...im finals right now so i dont have much do to check out off the topics.

oh and hello to all...its my first post

first of all im choosing between to different schools right now: The traditional shotokan, and AMerican Kenpo. i guess my goals are hipocritical because as much as i want to have that mental self confidence building aspect (im a strong guy but no confidence/expeirence)...so with that i really want training to be physical interaction and applicable to the street, if need be....

i have been to the kenpo class and watched... and today will go to a full shotokan class and watch.

-the kenpo class to me looks great in that i like the impr4ession of the instructor that he gave me and the idea that this class seems to use a lot of pads and work not jsut hitting the 'air'. however i walked in and there was a huge screaming kid class before the one i watch..i got a mcdojo feeling. also the school is large area, with amenities like padded floor, pads, bags...etc.. but the cost will be 80bucks. (also the begining class looks about 20 people)

on the other hand the shotokan dojo (i went for 10 minutes jsut to talk to the instuctor) was small, wood floor..and i didnt see pads, bags and such..(however didnt get a good look around)..the begining class was 6 people i think, its also only 35bucks...i sensed a very tradionaly environment...but i dont know how much sparring/hitting hard they do (as in on pads..i know hitting the 'air' can be jsut as hard, but i want experience in hitting body/pad..just like i want experience in getting hit aswell!...(never been in a real fight)

-and basiaclly both insturctors have been doing this for 20+years. the shotokan guy 26 years..hes a 'third dan bb' and the kenpo guy a 3 degree bb in kempo and 1ts degree bb in TKD

i am going to try both out maybe...but i have a hard time making decisions and i dont want my decision in the end to kick me, and wished that i would have done the other one.

so sorry for the long post....

i jsut would really like to get feedback in people's experiences in either, or both...as in comparasins and contrastings between these styles. and hopefully youve sensed my 'goals' so with that give some feedback in which style would compliment them.

thansk a lot

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to KF osuperu!

Most of my experience is in Shotokan and I tend to prefer it. But I suggest you get a good introduction to both dojos. I'm not sure about Kempo, but most Shotokan dojos prefer not to have contact sparring. Pads and bags are used, though.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

well i mean that i get the perception (and i really know nothing though)...that hitting and kicking and whatever moves, after its been practised, needs to be used on the body and/or bags and pads...otherwise i dont see too much real life application, and im not talking jsut a street brawl, i just mean like if you decide to do comp, or maybe spar with a friend..but then again i do know the importance of kata and of really getting something down before you use it...

Here is some advice! Remember to always practice and if you feel behind, don't, I said DON'T give up!!

And how long have you been in Karate??

KarateKid101

"The answers to life aren't in the back of the book"

- Charlie Brown

umm..im so new to this i havent set foot on the 'dojo floor' with my bare feet. ...I just like to read alot and get lots of info on something important that i want to spend a lot of my time on...namely martial arts. I do have a little boxing exp. only as in self taught punches and combos..haha...but yea im new....and today i did go to the shotokan class from begining to end...and i think im going to do that...eventhough it seemed less into phyiscal contact (as in hard contact sparring)...the American Kenpo place did seem a little too mcdojo...my first impression is that i like kenpo style better (but what do i know)..but things like 80bucks a month (only 35 at other place) and big class and, well the cool instuctor has helpers that do a lot...i little too much...im sorry but im diligent on learning a stlye and i dont want a 17 year old newly bb (hahah im 21) kid to teach me the basics...cus the basics are everything..

also...you were saying about always practising...im very self motivated..so what practising can a newbie do with the traditional shotkan style i will be learning? how much 'at home' practise can be done at my new level?

First, I'm glad you made a decision. If you aren't comfortable with the dojo you train in, it can hinder your learning.

When you first start out, the stretching is important, so do that on a daily basis. When you're at home review your previous lesson and maintain your stances for as long as you can. One of things I do is keep a stance for as long as possible. I start off watching a commercial, then two commercials, then the entire set of commercials...just holding the stance and practing some blocks, etc. When I've got to that amount of time in stance, I go for the entire 30 minute program just in stance. Next, I'll go for 60 minutes just in stance. It is a good goal-oriented home program.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Good luck in your Karate! By-the-way, I have been in Karate for somtime now. I am now a yellow belt, black stripe! When I first joined Karate, I felt like I didn't belong, but with lots a prctice, I was ahead of everybody in my karate class!! So like I said before good LUCK!!!! :)

KarateKid101

"The answers to life aren't in the back of the book"

- Charlie Brown

Good luck with your training and welcome to shotokan ,by the sound of it your instructer must be well qualified .I always enjoyed the grace andpower of shotokan .much practice is needed but if you stick at it ,with good instructer the rewards are great and it would even help you in other sports .in simple terms the mental side of it will improve your confidence and boost your will power .and remember there is no short cut ,you must work hard in basics and master them . it is important to practice your stances and techniques at home what you do in the class .

never give up !