• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WKF World Championships training regime for an athlete?

OneTwoStep

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums. This year I'm looking forward to going to WKF Cadet and Junior World Championships in Cyprus, does any1 know what sort of training regime I would need to go under (for kumite), obviously except for ALOT of kumite training at my dojo;

I'm looking for things like : gym exercises, running and cardio exercises, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi.

I participated (for kumite) in the last WKF Cadet and Junior World Championship in Marseille. I am curious if u are a cadet or a junior and which weight will you compete in.

It was a very good experience!

Hello OneTwoStep and Mmads - welcome to Karate Forums!

OneTwoStep, you will find lots of tips about training and fitness in the Health, Training and Fitness forum of this site.

The best person to ask about what you'd need to do to get ready for the championships would be your Sensei/Instructor. He/She would be able to give you specific advice about what you should work on.

Good luck for the championships! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 2 months later...

Check out https://www.tokeyhill.com for a book called kumite concepts that Tokey Hill (former WKF world champion) coauthored with Eric Hill (no relation).

Good luck...

https://www.SyracuseJundokan.com

Authentic & Traditional Goju-ryu

WKF Competition Training

Jundokan Honbu: https://www.jundokan.jp

(While you're reading this, your next opponent is sweating in the dojo!)

Good luck, I might be going to Australia for the ITF World Championships (if I can afford it), I went to Korea last year but I was injured so I couldn't compete (doctor wouldn't let me :kaioken: ).

I agree that your better asking you instructor for any specific preparation.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Probably the best way to be prepared would simply be a LOT of sparring. Endurance is sport-specific, so running isn't going to help you as much as sparring endurance-wise. After all, if you're training for endurance in sparring, doesn't it make more sense to train it by actually sparring?

Possibly a bit of weight training as well, and definitely a sound diet regimen.

Here is how I do it being that I am a Kumite player, I tend to train alot with my teammates who are on the same level as I am. We will spar for at least 10 min rounds. then each round we take two minutes off. When Im in the Dojo I focus on my basics being as clean as possible. Doing partner work in The Dojo you always have to have the attitude you are at the World Championships. Same as in sparring the upper ranks. With the lower ranks I tend to work on foot work and my weaker techniques more. or try to work a new combination. When I get better at that paticular combination then I start working it in on higher ranks. Out side of the Dojo again I will do some sport specific weight training and plyometrics. And I will watch my diet so I can have the greatest amount of energy and be able to fit into my weight division. Then about 4 days till comp I will taper down my trainig to just light Sparring and still watching my diet.

P.S. Work on your take downs. Its alot easier to score a Sanbon with a take down rather then a kick.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.