Kumite988

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Choki Motobu did his Naifanchi using kibadachi (there are photos of him doing it). Since Nagamine was a student of Motobu, it is logical that his style does Naifanchi the same way.

http://seinenkai.com/articles/swift/swift-tidbits3g.jpg

In Seibukan we have Naifanchi (among couple of others) as "additional kata" (additional in a sense that official Seibukan kata are from Kyan lineage) that current head, Shimabukuro Zenpo, learned from Chozo Nakama - who learned, as well, his Naifanchi from Motobu). We use kibadachi in Naifanchi, too. So, it seems to be a Motobu version.

And yes, that is a kibadachi. In several Okinawan styles kibadachi is a lot narrower than the "double shoulder width" -version often seen in Japanese styles. A common guideline is that the inner edges of feet are aligned with outer edges of shoulders.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

One of the things we sometimes do, are katas in completely different stances. It helps us to analyze why it is "offically" done in a particular stance. It also helps us learn some applications, and adaptations given how life isn't always predictable. Maybe I'll try it in the stances you've outlined, and have a little fun with it. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Motobu did do his Naihanchi in a kiba dachi. He disagreed with Itosu on this point. He even has his version of Naihanchi, although he taught the standard one as well.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Motobu did do his Naihanchi in a kiba dachi. He disagreed with Itosu on this point. He even has his version of Naihanchi, although he taught the standard one as well.

Yeah, well I disagree with Motobu on this point and agree with Itosu. It just makes sense to use the Naihanchi stance for Naihanchi, if you understand biomechanics and physics.

P.A.L.: I would try the Shorinkan version, but I do Matsumura Seito, under Lindsey Sensei whom I'm sure you know :). Are you part of the White Crane study group?

You can't fade me, man!

ONE TROOF, yes i am part of white crane group under sensei Thompson in Houston, how about you?any white crane or just matsumura seito?

So you are a yudansha? Cool. Seito IS very white crane. I learn from Lindsey exclusively so how can I not know crane principles? It's inherent to our forms and principles. How do you like the way Sensei Lidsey teaches?

Sorry to get OT. Naihanchi is very good kata, no matter how you do it. That's that.

You can't fade me, man!

So you are a yudansha? Cool. Seito IS very white crane. I learn from Lindsey exclusively so how can I not know crane principles? It's inherent to our forms and principles. How do you like the way Sensei Lidsey teaches?

Sorry to get OT. Naihanchi is very good kata, no matter how you do it. That's that.

actually i am pretty new in white crane, i just started it 3 months ago,(i used to practice in shorin tyu styles but not matsumura saito, mostly kenshinkai,matsubayashi,shorinkan) , by chance i met sensei thampson in sensei keller(Linda) school teaching white crane, i love the style and in last 3 months i have worked on first 8 katas,(shorinji sanchin,Ni ju ken,shu tsru ken, ryushu ken,Matsumura Hakutsuru sho, Hi tsru ken, paihoe, tsuru sanchin), it's a pitty that a knee injury doesn't let me spar with sensei thampson he is a Gold mine. sensei thampson told me we may all move to Matsumura seito style under sensei lindsey. i guess i'll see you some times this year in sensei lindsey s dojo.

I noticed someone mentioned good grappeling techniques can be found in this kata, so has anyone tried doing this kata on the ground?

I have, it's amazing how bunkai can change when you take a different perspective on the kata.

Be true to you're own path