• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Naihanchin/Tekki Sandan...

Kumite988

i have seen nihanchi sandan's first move is a step intoa right forward stance, left hand upper block, then rise up to the middle block. i have also seen this move omitted.

anyone know what i'm talking about?

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the way it's done is slightly different. For Naihanchi Sandan, the first move is into a naname zenkutsu with a "left middle block" and then you shift into a naihanchi dachi with a "double block" (right hand middle block, left hand down block). Of course, they're not actually blocks, but just to use common terminology...

If this sequence was omitted, then it wasn't being done properly. There is such a thing as variation in how things are done and then leaving out moves entirely.

Before nit-pickers and argumentative types (like me) chime in, he's in the same system and organization I am. What's more, we trace our lineage through Chibana Chosin and Itosu (Itosu being the one who made this form), so there is less room for customization in that respect.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Do you have a diagram so we can compare?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

No, I do not, sorry.

As I mentioned before, we are in a naihanchi dachi (the distance in between the feet is shoulder width or slightly more apart) rather than a kiba dachi. When we step over into it, rather than bringing the knee high and dropping down, we keep the legs low the entire time, relying on a shift in body structure to move quickly. The low foot movement also emphasizes the grappling nature of this kata, in my opinion. There's actually much more to it than that, but as a brief overview, that's the difference in stepping.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/