• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Naihanchin/Tekki Sandan...

Kumite988

Did anyone else have a ton of problems learning this kata? It's strange because I am usually really fast at picking up katas, even long ones after a short amount of time. This one though it's just such a pain. The first two I know, but Sandan, theres something about it I just cant get down. I am only talking about the memorization here. Anyone else have problems with this kata?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Break it to sequences. Do not drill the whole kata at once, but do it in short parts. Train these parts by doing 10-50 repeats on each part. After that, assemble them together and give the whole kata 10-50 walthroughs.

After that, add some power and perform it properly for 10-50 times. Repeats are the key.

Pinan Sandan/Heian Sandan (I suppose that you're talking about that kata) is a bit more "kata-ish" than Shodan and Nidan. Get used to that feeling - it's common in higher level kata.

Personally, I didn't find Pinan Sandan any harder than any other kata - however, I didn't learn Pinans as first kata - actually I did learn them after pretty much everything else (they're not a part of our "core curriculum" but so called "added kata". Our first official kata is Seisan).

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Actually, he's talking about Naihanchi Sandan. Naihanchi Sandan was an Itosu kata. Many systems picked it up, regardless of whether they trace through the Itosu lineage or not (for example, Hohan Soken learned it from Chibana Chosin).

I never had any more difficulty learning Sandan as opposed to the other two. The best way to learn kata for me was to do it once or twice all the way through (to give you an idea of where you're headed) and then break it into parts.

Maybe because it isn't an exact, direct mirror of itself (although it is pretty close)?

It always helps if you have some sort of idea what each move is (even if it is real basic, just for the early stages).

You have a friend you can practice it with? That always helps.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Yep, I did read the topic now. Naifanchi Sandan isn't - for me - any more difficult than Shodan and Nidan (or any other kata).

Still, breaking it to parts, assembling and repeating helps here too.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I had more problems with T. Sandan than I did with T. Shodan or T. Nidan. However, if you break each part down and work on it then you'll get it in the end. Don't stress about it - that'll only make it worse.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Tekki Sandan... Ahhh the Kata the resembles an armour clad warrior.

What a great Kata it is.

One good way to train in this Kata is to stand in Kiba Dachi and stay put and just practise all the hand movements, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Kiba Dachi is hard on the legs and the repetitious hand movements is very hard on the arms, shoulders and upper back muscles.

This is an excellent Kata for over all body conditioning. The stance develops leg strength, balance and stability, while the arm movements develops a lot of speed strength and co-ordination.

Practise the arm movements daily until it feels like you arms are going to fall off!!

Inside Tekki Sandan is more than what is first seen. I spent 10 years on the Tekki Kata. In our school the Tekki Kata are dan grade level.

Underneath the cloudy surface in the Tekki Kata lurks gems of gold, if you work hard.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

There is a lot of subtley to the tekkis, and a lot of power. Aside from that, everyone's advise so far is really great

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Just a random question more for my curiousity than anything else.

Kumite988, do you use Kiba dachi (new way) or a naihanchi dachi (old way) when you do it?

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Just a random question more for my curiousity than anything else.

Kumite988, do you use Kiba dachi (new way) or a naihanchi dachi (old way) when you do it?

We use Shiko Dachi while doing these katas.

We use kiba dachi. Do you others, while performing these katas, endeavour to stay at the same level or is it allowed that you rise up/lower down while moving? For us, we have to maintain the same height throughout.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu