• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

raggedy black belts

JimmyNewton

Generally, a ragged belt means more time put in on the mat - the more you tie it and get it pulled and torqued, the more it will...ragedize.

However, I will keep this argument simple with my always favorite quote:

Colors show, but not what you know.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my dojo, if you have a black belt that's worn, it's better than having a new looking black belt. They look worn because the retract hand creates friction that wears down the belt. It's the true test of whether or not your doing your retract hand correctly.

it is very uncommon for someone who has reached black belt to practice that much basics that their belt wear out by friction !!

Mine has worn out by the knot area if it matters . :P

never give up !

Mine has worn out by the knot area if it matters

As had mine (I just got a promotion from Juinor to Senior black belt).

In Kenpo, at least, if you're a black belt and your retracting hand is rubbing on your belt, you're doing it wrong. Just thought I'd say that, not that it matters.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I certainly don't have a black belt yet, but I wash my belts because they get sweaty and they're hard to keep tied when they're new and stiff. It's all about convenience for now. You don't have the lower colors for that long anyway.

As for what I'll do when I earn my black, I'll probably wash it a few times so it stays tied. After that, who knows. But as for whether the chi energy resides there, it doesn't really matter in a real fight. You won't be wearing that puppy on the street. They'll know soon enough what belt is in your heart.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

well, its really simple to make your belts worn out u know. it wouldn't earn any respect until the one wearing shows its stuff. what's a worn out black belt if the one wearing it don't even know how to sweep the dojo's floor before practice. when my sensei's friend came to visit just last week for almost 20 years of not seeing each other as he walked inside the dojo i immediately knew he's good not because of his callosed hands and knuckles nor his deformed ears or the fact that his japanese but the bearing he projected. the humility in his words. we later found out he's 5th dan wado ryu.

why did we surrender lord?

• 16 years later...