• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

raggedy black belts

JimmyNewton

I beilve they might going into a bad patch, or they are from those MCdonals, Djo, or Mcnuggets or maybe all the training make them so Rigid...

There will be a day that you can't cope with your life, I want you to look at the star and remember, I always smile back at you. luV u lots Jen

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beilve they might going into a bad patch, or they are from those MCdonals, Djo, or Mcnuggets or maybe all the training make them so Rigid...

Excuse me? What does this have to do with anything?

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

i was just wanting some input, thanks for all those to contribted.

to Shorin Ryu.

I don't know at this time if I will attend camp or not. I'll have to see about time off work, finances, etc. I will let you know soon.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

i still disagree with washing it. i have seen black belts that are many years old, never washed, smell fine. and yes they have went through extensive, rigorous training.

I'm sure we all sweat hard, but with my gi drenced with sweat, my belt has never had mold or fungal odor.

i see washing it as a sign of washing away the blood sweat and tears you've put into it.

guess to each his own though.

By same logic then you shouldn't wash your gi, either.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

just going by what i've heard. but if you think its the same as not washing your gi, I won't even argue that..thats absurd.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

If it gets dirty or smelly, wash it. Just common sense. As has been mentioned numerous times, neither the Okinawans nor the Japanese tolerate uncleanliness in their dojos. If we want to imitate their customs, let's start with the ones that are forthright and logical. Soap is a good thing, folks.

just going by what i've heard. but if you think its the same as not washing your gi, I won't even argue that..thats absurd.

How so? Your gi gets more blood, sweat, and tears soaked into it. Why isn't it disrespectful to wash them out of the gi rather than your belt?

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

like I said..it's just what i've heard..and to each his own.

Who am I to change someone's beliefs?

it would be my opinion, however, that the gi dies not have the same symbolism as the Obi. but we could go about this round and round until we're blue in the fAce. Everyone of us karateka are more than likely going to do what was taught by our senseis.

I have a theory that I can not back up in the least, that the not washing your belt thing evolved from telling students not to wash their belt WITH their unifornm....

I can't tell you how many red belts I've heard of that ended up with pink uniforms because of that....

I understand both philosophies, though.

Back to the ragged belt thing...it only bothers me when I see young black belts who have intentionally made their belt ragged.

I've actually seen young black belts who have cut their belts in am attempt to make them start unravelling....and that is just stupid, not to mention disrespectful...

now that IS something i concur completely with.

I guess the main reason I started this thread was bc I've seen sensei's practicing martial arts for years, with black..slightly faded belts, and at tournemnt see belts that look like they are falling apart, and was wanting some input.

could always boil down to the manufacturer of the garment.

but i have to get soe work done..the head boss is here and I gotta get offline.

later

jn