• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditions

Colored belt promotions are done when everyone is lined up a the end of class. Go to the front, bow to each BB, recieve the belt and certificate, and shake the master's hand.

We do that as well, but its very informal. My previous Shotokan sensei had a more serious "ceremonial" feel to it. He called you up, and you sat in front of him. You removed your belt, folded it, and placed it in front of him. Your new belt was on a pillow placed between you, and he picked it up and placed it at your knees in front of you. You then bowed, picked it up, and put i on. Then both bowed.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This tradition to keep black belts on for 24 hours is pretty common.

Anyone else?

Na, it's the first I heard of it. Maybe I'll do that when I hit BB (if I ever do ... it's seems like it's taking for ever :cry: ).

Ahm!!! Does this look familiar Laurie?

Mastery comes not by being better than everyone else, but through being more persistent. - TangSooGuy

I thought so...just checking! :brow:

8)

Yea, I'm kinda doubting it now, but yea, I think I see your point.

Laurie F

The grizzled old guys I train with are all Hawai'ian (most of them Japanese/Okinawan ancestry, a few Filipino and Chinese ancestry as well); with me being the only non-local, the dojo tradition is to pick on me :bawling:, though I think in general, the dojo tradition is to make fun of everyone in the dojo. I found out that when Hawai'ians bag on you (generally though not always) it's actually an expression of acceptance and endearment; these old guys rag on each other all the time and encourage me to rip on them. With all of the off color jokes I've heard, had I not known that small cultural tidbit walking in, I probably would have been put off entirely (seriously, some of the stuff they say about each other would sound pretty offensive to an outsider who had no idea jokes like those were the norm). I think it's a phenomenon that keeps them humble (I've definately been humbled with some of the things they've said about me) and highlights a little of their cultural/historical irony.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

The grizzled old guys I train with are all Hawai'ian (most of them Japanese/Okinawan ancestry, a few Filipino and Chinese ancestry as well); with me being the only non-local, the dojo tradition is to pick on me :bawling:, though I think in general, the dojo tradition is to make fun of everyone in the dojo.

Gee, that's just because you're...Oh, right. Can't say that here.

I found out that when Hawai'ians bag on you (generally though not always) it's actually an expression of acceptance and endearment; these old guys rag on each other all the time and encourage me to rip on them. With all of the off color jokes I've heard, had I not known that small cultural tidbit walking in, I probably would have been put off entirely (seriously, some of the stuff they say about each other would sound pretty offensive to an outsider who had no idea jokes like those were the norm). I think it's a phenomenon that keeps them humble (I've definately been humbled with some of the things they've said about me) and highlights a little of their cultural/historical irony.

Sounds a lot like the place we just left, no?

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/