• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it Just me.

Pogo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Yes, they get hit more. I can't prove it, but they do. Listen: I never wore headgear and such. I never got hit in the head but a few light touches. I wore headgear and stuff at the tournament. I got a concussion from some kid a bit bigger than me punching my head full force. Twice. Both times I did all I could to get away from where the most power would have been in the punch, and succeeded. I still got a concussion. So, there's your answer.

that's not really an answer. Actually, what you stated is a reason to use head gear. you got a concussion with it... who knows what may have happened had you gotten hit without it. The simple fact is, things happen. when you are defending alot of strikes to the head, you WILL eventually get hit - just like you did. It's a game of numbers, regardless of how skilled you are. look at competitive fighting - boxing, thai boxing, mma, etc. on a pro level, they take shots to the head constantly - with no head gear. According to what you are saying, these guys should never get hit in the head... doesn't work that way. amateur guys in boxing and thai boxing wear head gear... they also get hit in the head. It's just something that happens.

Here's something else to consider - you are wearing no head gear at your dojo - with all of your comrades who know you and don't really want to hurt you anyway. if you went to another dojo, a tournament, etc. you may have a higher chance of being hit, as you are fighting someone who doesn't know or care about you.

• 3 weeks later...

one of the reason face sheild guys get hit more is they dont protect it as much. the other is the face shield sticks out a few more inches so shots that would miss buy an inch hit you.

that being said there is a place for head gear.

avantages

protect you knogin and you can go hard more often

some rules require it so train and get used to it.

disadvantages

forget to block head as much.

cuts down on pheriferal vision

unrealistic training to some degree.i fight one guy at my gym who always wheres head gear. he is not to good so i go light with him. he walks through jabs that most of the time he would cause someone to at least pause

i never use a face sheild

What is up with all of the pads they make you weir at tournaments now a days I hate it esspesualy the chest protecter.

Insurance- many companies won't insure a tournament unless certain amounts of padding are worn. The amount required varies with the insuring company