• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

help with back stance

davedarave

hi everyone, i just wonder if anyone has a problem keeping your back foot planted to the floor when moving backwards in back stance.My back foot always moves before my hips do.just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tricks that would help

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would suggest putting more weight on the back foot and perhaps taking a lower stance.

Your back foot may be lifting up because, inadvertently you are lifting your hips and upperbody which in turn lifts your leg and foot.

As you move back or forward in any stance, remember to slide your foot across the floor. Dont lift your foot.

The only way to improve is do the stance, moving backward and forward over and over and over on a daily basis.

Another way is to carry a weight on your shoulder as well.

Kokutsu dachi is not an easy stance and many have difficulty moving forward in it because the weight is meant to land on the back foot, but the tendency is to put the weight on the front leading foot.

Repetition solves any problem in Karate

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I would recommend this. My school teaches that the legs should be in a L shape, with the knee perpindicular to the floor.

so here's the front foot

L

here's the back foot

Try placing your knee against a wall and sitting in the stance. Read or something while you do this. Sit in the stance for about 5 minutes per leg.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

MayI just add in order to move swiftly in back stance great care must be taken to insure that you are always on the ball of your foot and it is the twisting on the ball of the foot sharply and dynamically that can initiate the swift movement ,so is bending the knee and keep in the hip low and the same level through out the movement.

never give up !

thanks again,pers good stuff.thats what i am talking about moving swift wihout comprmising the technique.like in bassai dai ,three steps foward one swift step back. i can do the movements , but it does not seem to flow natural without effort ,my instructor says i think to much.

thanks again,pers good stuff.thats what i am talking about moving swift wihout comprmising the technique.like in bassai dai ,three steps foward one swift step back. i can do the movements , but it does not seem to flow natural without effort ,my instructor says i think to much.

you are welcome ! your instructer is right ,but with practice you will get it right without thinking about it . Just like driving the car in the beggining and then after few years ,so practice ,practice ,practice ! :wink:

never give up !

Something that may help you out. Next time you're in class, have two staffs (or sticks, or brooms) held up by four of your friends. One placed just above each shoulder.

Move forward and backward in back stance, and if you raise up, touching the wood, you must start all over. That will really help you stay low.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 1 month later...