• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hangetsu and Knees

SaiFightsMS

It was suggested that Hangetsu can be a kata that will help strengthen the knees. While at the same time others swear it is a kata that is really hard on the knees and one someone with bad knees should avoid.

For those who know the kata what do you think?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry I do not know hangetsu however I do know seisan which I belive is the okinawan kata from which hangetsu came from . And agin i am sorry i do not know where it would affect the knees in seisan there are several sanchin dachi but I do not feel it affect the knees sorry my freind i wish i could help .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

Yes it does seem Hangetsu has its roots in Sanchin. The difference is in the hangetsu stance. It is a much deeper type of sanchin dachi. Approaching zenkutsu depth but with the knees turned in.

Well im not sure andchin is done all in sanchin dachi . in seisan you step foward 3 times wiht double chudan uke (middle blocks then you alternate wiht a very fast chudanzuki on each coraspnding foot after the 3rd punch you ahve a double open hand chudan uke then a double nukite to floating ribbs 3 times etc... san chin you step foward 3 times wiht morate chudan uke and punches as well as turn and etc... i wont describe the whole kata but both are naha kata (goju) seisan also has several hanyoko geri (side kicks to the knee)

Shodan Motobu ha ****o ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

[ This Message was edited by: ronryu on 2002-02-07 18:05 ]

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

The way we practise Hangetsu is very hard on the knees. We dont use Sanchin Stance but more of a stance half way between Kiba Dachi and Fudo Dachi, called Hangetsu Dachi.

Nice Kata though

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

This question came up the other day in my KObudo class. In Okinawan Kobudo you are supposed to do the basics in a sanchin dachi, however, as we are a shotokan school, we kinda didn't do this, instead chosing to do the basics in heiko-dachi (parallel stance)

Deciding that we better start implementing this stance, we tried it for the first time on Sunday.

One of my students found this very difficult, as the pressure on the knees and ankles was unbearable.

She has Arthritus (sp?), so therefore I say Hungetsu dachi and Sanchin dachi are hard on the knees and ankles of ppl who have bone problems.

Hope this babbling helps

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

• 2 weeks later...

Tobias I think I have noticed something with the stances hangetsu and sanchin. Doing them with the empasis on turning the knees in creates more stress. Doing them with the emphasis being on closing the groin area is much less stressfull on the knees.

Would anyone like to try this and see what they think?

• 2 weeks later...

I learned sanchin kata and the stance, where there should be no inward tension on the knees this is a shotokan thing which will hurt you. instead tense the abs and curve the pelvis upward. try it with hangetsu dachi it relieves the stress on the knees.

and hangetsu does come from seisan not sanchin ;p its just a japanafied shuri version.

only somewhat similar to the naha version.

by all means correct me if im wrong.

"By all means correct me if I'm wrong"

Finally, someone with some humility!!!!! A warm welcome to the boards ZakariRu!!!!

I think you and I are gunna hit it off well :smile:

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)