• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Pop ups" (not sure of the name)

Hi there,

Does anyone know how to do this move? Lying on your back, you sort of bring your legs into your chest, throw them down to the ground and land on your feet. I've seen people incorporate their arms as well. Does anyone know what this is called and how to do it?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with any specific name for it, but that was a decent description.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

There has been a post on this forum regarding this subject. You will be well served by doing a search for it. I seem to remember that it was discussed until the person who asked was able to perform it to his satisfaction. :karate:

Yes, its referred to as a kip up and can be learned in about a week.

You roll back, bring your legs into your chest (upper back is touching the ground now), and your hands are up by your ears with the palms flat on the ground, fingers pointing "down" towards your bottom.

At this point you kick your legs "straight" (at a 45 degree angle) as hard as you can. There will come an instant when you feel light. This is just the momentum of your legs going up pulling your body behind it. It is at this point of weightlessness that you push up with your hands. Your feet will fall to the ground (you might pull them in a little, do not over emphasis this) and your body will follow. You curl in your body some (do a crunch) to help it pull forward.

To be blunt, you will fall on your back a lot. Get a pad. You're going to start falling on it more and more directly (instead of your butt than your back). Then you will start landing on your feet, but having your weight shifted too far back and fall backwards. Eventually, you will get one or two. Then more often. Then your form will start to become more natural with it.

Honestly, just practice 15-25 minutes every day, and within a week you will have it. Don't try and shortcut, don't do "15*7 - 25*7, if I practice 105 - 175 minutes, I'll get it in one day!" It does not work that way. Just practice some, every day, and you'll have it.

Good luck, its a fun move.

Edited by taiji fajin

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

:) When your on your first that first time don't forget to kiai!

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Glad to help :). I had always wanted to do it and been of the opinion that "I can't do those." My roommate (fellow ma practicioner) gave me the pointers I gave you guys, with the same time frame. I didn't believe it would happen in about a week, but we pulled out a mat and I would do that, and sure enough I started getting them to the point where I can just do it now. Of course, he took videos of me my first day or two so he could laugh at me. Gotta love roommates.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.