• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I thought thoses techniques were abandoned because they were too dangerous. You've already mentioned the running up to a person's body and kneeing them in the head -- I've read this technique always causes an instant KO. There's also the running up to the person's body while having one leg mounted on to his shoulder and deliver a sharp elbow strike right to the cranium. I've read this technique would most likely kill the opponent.

I thought these techniques were banned from the ring due to it's deadliness.

a standard knee to the head is just as deadly. a lot of those older techniques are simply too hard to pull off - look at the stuff you see in ong bak - the double uppercut, the jumping elbows, the simultaneous knee/elbow lunge... all of those are valid techniques, but chances are you will never pull them off in a fight. They were therefore abandoned. Nothing ALWAYS causes an instant KO... fighting is very dynamic.

is muay biran still being teached to people,and is it avilable in america?

muay boran is gaining popularity from what I hear, but will never be as popular as muay thai. muay boran is actually a combination of what is left of the knowledge of other old muay. These remaining techniques were combined into muay boran.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, it is, but you most likely won't find it.
yeah that's what I thought.Sadly great arts like these are rare in america,unless theres a big Thai population in your area,then there is a bigger chance of finding it.
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

muay thai is freaking kewl,but it would be great if there was a good amount of both.I guess it's like saying that most Karate schools around were Goju Ryu,and you wanted to experience Kyokushin also,but you couldn't because it's rare.So what I'm saying there should be a lil bit of evrything,that way you can keep things interesting.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

people train for various reasons. I think you'll find that most people do NOT train with fighting in mind. The biggest reasons are probably fitness and art. next would be self defense, followed by competition, as far as major answers go.

Also, that's not to say that it's not effective at all. It still has the same core techniques that muay thai has, but has some extra stuff as well, like any other TMA.

people train for various reasons. I think you'll find that most people do NOT train with fighting in mind. The biggest reasons are probably fitness and art. next would be self defense, followed by competition, as far as major answers go.

Also, that's not to say that it's not effective at all. It still has the same core techniques that muay thai has, but has some extra stuff as well, like any other TMA.

I totally agree with elbows_and_knees here.For example let's ask why would anybody learn Capoeira knowing that it's not good for mixed martial arts or anything like that?Well because it looks good,it conditions your body,it's very fun,and etc.Sure Muay Thai is a better street and competition effective art, but theres arts for every interest.For example you (thaiwarrior)don't really like chinese martial arts according to your previous posts, but those are other peoples ultimate styles.

• 2 weeks later...

muay thai is the only art that have alot of secrets in them, the tiny skinny thai's can Ko'd people much bigger than them

What about chinese MAs ?? what we know about them is much less then what we don't know ??

The only reason that a tiny thai boxer can k.o ppl bigger is because he trains harder and from an early age , I don't think that there is any hidden techniques in Muay thai

Almost all chinese arts are useless and outdated.

There are a few that are effective:

Shiuo Chiao - is a deadlier nastier stand up grappling art than Judo. The only thing it lacks is groundwork.

Choy Li Fut, Bajiquan and maybe Tajiquan are other brutal arts. I don't know much about them. But I heard they are simple and to the point unlike other chinese arts which has more style than substance.

CLF is good, solid, and easy to learn. Train as hard as a Thai boxer for 6 months and you'll be just as good in fighting as one of them.

Another thing you'll notice is that we look alot like western boxing in many respects, the swinging punches, the uppercuts, the bodyshots, etc.

About this thread:

It has provided alot of good info regarding the different Thai boxing systems, whether they are old, new, etc, etc.

Oh yeah and Ong-Bak just looks like Kung Fu with more elbows and knees than Muay Thai.