• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As I said earlier, all traditional thai arts are now taught as muay boran. Muay boran is the collective of the remains of various older thai styles. All have pretty much been abandoned in favor of muay thai, which is part of the reason why so much of the old stuff has been lost. Also, not everything in that movie was thai fighting. jaa admitted that he made some of the stuff up. Much of it is real stuff that I've seen in some fashion before though.

Isn't Muay Boran less effective and dangerous than Muay Thai?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said earlier, all traditional thai arts are now taught as muay boran. Muay boran is the collective of the remains of various older thai styles. All have pretty much been abandoned in favor of muay thai, which is part of the reason why so much of the old stuff has been lost. Also, not everything in that movie was thai fighting. jaa admitted that he made some of the stuff up. Much of it is real stuff that I've seen in some fashion before though.

Not only did Jaa made some of his own stuff up, he also knows Tae Kwon do. In Ong Bak, his style was a mixture of Thai boxing, Tae Kwon do, and gymnastics.

He was also a stunt double in Mortal Kombat 2.

I have to disagree with you on saying that most chinese martial arts are useless.A lot of other styles came from chinese martial arts.You know why,because theyre great styles.There are a lot of showy movements in them,but they have hidden meanings behind them.Also theres some that have no fancy looking techniques,just look at wing chun.Speaking of wing chun,it's ancient and look how effective it is.Some of the police in europe are even required to learn it.You also have to be clear when you say that chinese martial arts are flashy.Because it's usually the northern styles that have those things,even then they still work great.Then there are the southern styles.These styles are usually close quarters styles with low kicks and some times barely any kicks.There's even a style that you can probably relate to.It's called San Da/San shou.This style is very similar to kickboxing,except that sweeps and throws are allowed,it's also full contact.Sure movies and games make it look showy,but that goes for any style.I'm not writing this to talk mess to you,just show you theres more to chinese martial arts than you think there is.You should look more into chinese martial arts to find out before you post something like that.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

I have to disagree with you on saying that most chinese martial arts are useless.A lot of other styles came from chinese martial arts.You know why,because theyre great styles.There are a lot of showy movements in them,but they have hidden meanings behind them.Also theres some that have no fancy looking techniques,just look at wing chun.Speaking of wing chun,it's ancient and look how effective it is.Some of the police in europe are even required to learn it.You also have to be clear when you say that chinese martial arts are flashy.Because it's usually the northern styles that have those things,even then they still work great.Then there are the southern styles.These styles are usually close quarters styles with low kicks and some times barely any kicks.There's even a style that you can probably relate to.It's called San Da/San shou.This style is very similar to kickboxing,except that sweeps and throws are allowed,it's also full contact.Sure movies and games make it look showy,but that goes for any style.I'm not writing this to talk mess to you,just show you theres more to chinese martial arts than you think there is.You should look more into chinese martial arts to find out before you post something like that.

You don't see any UFC or Pride fighters using any techniques from Chinese arts. And there's a reason why, it's because they don't even begin to compare to what they already use such as Muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, and Brazilian jiu jitsu.

I've never seen Wing Chun used in any fighting tournaments and succeed. Even Bruce Lee gave up on it later in his life because it was too rigid and not practical for real life. I've seen clips of Wing Chun guys getting rocked by Thai fighters, boxers, and grapplers.

Sanda/San Shou is a half assed lame attempt creation by the chinese to compensate for their losses against Muay Thai fighters for over a decade. Since the late 70's, Chinese martial artists got their * handed to them by Thai boxers. So they came up with Sanda.

Sanda is not a true chinese art. It really does not have any moves that are uniquely chinese. Their moves are borrowed from boxing, wrestling, and some tae kwon do.

I think you're really pushing it. Wing Chun is an excellant martial art when mastered successfully, as well as other chinese martial arts. Yes it has it's weaknesses, but so does all the other martial arts you've mentioned. I've never seen a Muay Thai guy fight well from his back before. I did briefly practice Wing Chun, and can be very efficient in a street fight, so you shouldn't over generalise all chinese martial arts that way.

I think you're really pushing it. Wing Chun is an excellant martial art when mastered successfully, as well as other chinese martial arts. Yes it has it's weaknesses, but so does all the other martial arts you've mentioned. I've never seen a Muay Thai guy fight well from his back before. I did briefly practice Wing Chun, and can be very efficient in a street fight, so you shouldn't over generalise all chinese martial arts that way.

No it isn't, the best wing chun master would still lose to an average or above average boxer/Muay Thai fighter.

Emin Boztepe punked William Cheung. And the funny thing is, Emin didn't use any wing chun against him. He beat Cheung using the finesse and grace of a street thug by just jumping him and throwing wild punches.

Yes, it's pretty obvious Muay Thai has weaknesses. For one, if a larger, stronger opponent also uses Muay Thai against you, you'd lose no matter what. And second, it has no groundwork. That one is pretty obvious, any grappler can take them to the ground and have their way with them.

What cannot be denied is the fact that Thai boxing is the best stand up striking art bar none. It has all the tools. Boxing is second best. Wing Chun is far from the best.

well look at emin boztepe,he's very well conditioned and younger than william cheung.Also all styles have weaknesses,you even pointed out your styles weaknesses,and those are more than what wing chun has.Then the reason you don't see chinese martial arts being used in the ufc is because chinese martial arts don't train for sport for the most part.Well if you want to see chinese martial arts in sport atmosphere look at Jason Delucia and Cung Le,these are top notch fighters.By the way Jason Delucia is a member of this website,feel free to insult the style he has dedicated his life to.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

well look at emin boztepe,he's very well conditioned and younger than william cheung.Also all styles have weaknesses,you even pointed out your styles weaknesses,and those are more than what wing chun has.Then the reason you don't see chinese martial arts being used in the ufc is because chinese martial arts don't train for sport for the most part.Well if you want to see chinese martial arts in sport atmosphere look at Jason Delucia and Cung Le,these are top notch fighters.By the way Jason Delucia is a member of this website,feel free to insult the style he has dedicated his life to.

Sorry to come off as harsh, it's nothing personal. But what I'm saying is actually true. And I did say there are some effective chinese arts.

Cung Le is vietnamese, isn't he? He uses moves that are not derived from kung fu. For example he likes to use the german suplex alot.

Don't know who Jason Delucia is. Is he a Sanda fighter? I'll admit Sanda has some victories over Muay Thai but they mostly win by points and they barely win by TKO or KO.

And you're sadly mistaken if you think Muay Thai has more weaknesses than Wing Chun. For one reason, Muay Thai is more practical in real life combat because of it's simplicity in technique and no nonsense training and conditioning. In Wing Chun, conditioning is not even required. Wing Chun Has no footwork. They have no defense against leg attacks. They barely use any kicks. And they're style is too linear to be really effective. No one has ever proven Wing Chun's effectiveness at all.