• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was watching this show called "Deadly Arts" where this women travels around the world learning different arts and they were doing Muay Thai one week when i watched it. It seemed they hade some Traditional forms in it ( that i can remember) but she also used the two sticks( sorry i forgot what they called them). So is there any Traditional things in Muay Thai or is there Traditional Muay Thai or what?

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not traditional muay thai, but traditional muay. muay thai is the muay that was born in the 1920's which is so popular today. What you probably saw was either muay boran - a more traditional muay that is widely known - or krabbi krabong.

You wouldnt happen to have a link to explian in more detail about Muay Boran. Your definition is kinda vague

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

I wasn't attempting to give detail - my bad. muay is a generic term - it means "boxing", if I remember correctly.

muay is like kung fu - there are thousands of chinese styles, all deemed kung fu. There are also various incarnations of muay. Hoever, today, there is really only one that is widely practiced - muay thai. it came about around the 1920's when they decided to use gloves instead of wrapping the hands with hemp.

In the past, there has been muay boran, muay chaiya, muay kaad cheurk - this muay introduced the use of hemp, muay lon lon, etc.

I have never heard that muay boran is the grappling side of muay thai. pretty much all of the old muay had techniques you don't see today in muay thai - more grappling, and "flashy techniques" like double knees, double uppercuts and spinning kicks.

for a basic synopsis of various old styles, you can check out http://www.ancientmuaythai.com

Muay = Boxing

Thai = Siam

= Muay Thai,

Muay boran krabi krabong, have been dated back 4000 yeras ago, many books and temple history war lost against the burmess war...burmess soldeir burnt the temple in ayuttaya, now it is a tourist place, the soldiers in the burmess dug the ground and burn the temple inside out,

Muay Thai has form about 80 years old, they take back most of the leathal moves, such as '''hanuman twai wean'' etc Muay Thai uses the fist, leg, knee, elbows, and headbutts. After the foreiners have seen mauy thai many styles use an copy the Muay Thai moves, such as BJJ or Kyukushinkai into theri arsenal,

Long, long time ago, muay thai boxer use it in the military to defend themself, but now they use formly for fighting, festivals...most Boxer generally comes from poor background to earned money and fight as young as 12 years old, when his 17 he'll be a pro. There many mastres teching mauy thai, difffernet styles, mae mai the masters tricks,

Go visit thailand, and it'll tell much more than internet site, or try it out yourself, visit mau thai spirits to foundout some moves, muay thai is the only art that have alot of secrets in them, the tiny skinny thai's can Ko'd people much bigger than them..so Muya thai respect all the way,,

There will be a day that you can't cope with your life, I want you to look at the star and remember, I always smile back at you. luV u lots Jen

I wouldn't say it's the only.... a japanese friend of mine is about 5'5 and 155. I've seen him tear apart guys that were six inches taller and at least 40 pounds heavier than him, including myself. That's just the product of hard work and dedication.

they definitely start early though. It's not uncommon for a fighter in thailand to have 90 fights by the time he's 21.

• 4 months later...

I think TigerHeart meant for the majority of thai kickboxers and not the minority. Most thai kickboxers do come from a poor background and train from a young age. They train every day and not just as a hobby, but to be able to eat and support their family with very low wages if any. It's well known that smaller thais commonly ripp apart larger 'American' opponents in the ring.

Sorry about that part alot of arts have history but muay thai is uniques every soldiers in the burmess war use thai boxing and sword.

There will be a day that you can't cope with your life, I want you to look at the star and remember, I always smile back at you. luV u lots Jen