• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karatekid101

The youngest at my karate club is 7. Sensei won't take children under this age.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take them from 6, though I asked one person last class his age and he said 'my mommey said I'm 6', but I'm only 4 really! :brow:

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

• 1 month later...

It is 3 in my school, they teach them techniques but it is a slow progression for most. They give them a half whit half yellow belt at the mid point so that they can have some sense of achievement. Also due to their short attention span the class is greatly reduced in time, so that way no one gets bored. I have seen a couple of kids that really have a lot of focus at such a young age not to say that they will be black belts at 7...

"It's not whos right, but whos left!"

I have a special class for 4, 5, and 6 year olds. It's not actually a Karate class however. More a "movement" class. I use karate movements (kicks, punches, Taikyoku kata) to teach them balance, coordination, focus, and control. I also teach some very basic self defense concepts to them. It is most important to me that they have fun. Afterall, what is a childhood without fun? Just sad I say.

Also, no matter what age they begin training, I will not promote them to Shodan-ho before the age of 16. This is to ensure they will be able to better understand the many lessons they will learn during their journey to the first step, and embrace those that come thereafter.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

We have a special class twice a week for 4 and 5 year olds, it's much shorter than the normal classes though. One they turn 6 they can go to the kids class then when they turn 12 or so they go to the teen class and the teens can also do the adult classes if they like.

Warai Wa Satori = Laughter is Enlightenment

Ikari Wa Muchi = Anger is Ignorance

Naku Wa Shugyo = To Cry is to Train

Sosai Mas Oyama

We start taking them at 4 years old (20 minutes once a week is all they get though). We begin traiining them to basically breathe, stand still and punch. Once they are used to the surroundings, can listen to instruction, etc., we begin blending them into more structured classes.

Fu sheng wu lian tianzun

2nd Dan - Shaolin Kempo

Drunken Master's Classic Kung Fu Theater | DojoZen.com