• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belts

karatekid101

It's all dependent on the style, and the whims of who controls it. For convenience's sake, I'll limit my post to the Japanese and Okinawan styles.

In most styles, 10th dan is the "standard" maximum, that can only be achieved by someone who has demonstrated a life of dedication, accomplishment, and wisdom. There is usually only one 10th dan rank per style (or faction), and the holder is usually referred to as O-sensei or O-shihan, or some other title.

In some styles, there may very well be a smaller number of dan ranks, and I've seen several that only go up to 8th dan. For example, Ohtsuka, the founder of the Wado-ryu karate system, held the rank of 10th dan in this style, and one of his students, Hirano, founded his own branch of the Wado-ryu style (Heiwado). Hirano's style uses 8th dan as the highest rank.

There are even some styles out there that use 5th dan as the maximum rank.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the dan system is horrible, I would rather have the knowledge than the 137th dan....if you are a good, your technique will speak for you, you don't need a dan or diffrent belt to do it for you.

Just an opinion. :)

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

Well said Strange pair - but at the same time - it is nice to have the recognition! lol

I could not agree more...the sad thing is when people NEED the recognition to bolster their self esteem...I think that the vast majority of the folks on this list...you and I included train for ourselves, what a wonderful world it would be if everybody was that way...Imagine.....

Would never happen...but it would be lovely :D :D

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

I was actually speaking of this with a Judo black belt tonight after my class and he told me that to reach another Dan it takes 10 years if you only take regular classes, but it's quicker if you go into competitions. So unless your a competition freak, it does take a long time to reach another Dan thus to answer your question jedimc I guess you do learn more things in between Dans in Judo - I mean in ten years time there's lots you can learn.