• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning kata out of order?

vertigo

I think its useful to learn the basic plan of higher katas but it can backfire with kids sometimes. They tend to get stuck to doing techniques a certain way early on so its usually best to focus on getting it right first time.

Seniors and adults should have little problem learning higher kata if they have mastered the basics.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good point about kids. As an adult I have, many times, been given permission to learn a kata ahead of time, and it has always been to my benefit.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

You're not alone, June1.. at the beginning of this year, after I got my orange belt, we were not taught Nidan right away either... although I'm in a class with mostly white belts (most days, I'm the highest rank).. so after two weeks, I decided I had better at least halfway know what's going on if/when he taught the class it... so I searched around and found a .mpeg file of the kata. I watched it a few times, and picked up the general motion of the kata, just to the point where I knew the outside movements of the kata.

Then, finally, after 3 weeks, our class finally started learning Heian Nidan. I knew generally what the movements would be like, but had not practiced them to the point where I was teaching myself wrong. Our sensei went over applications for almost every move in the kata (with me as "punching dummy"... I love that job! learn more :idea:).. and it was very easy to pick up. Did knowing the kata a little bit help coming in? Not necessarily, considering we went over that in class, but I don't think it hurt too much in this situation. As long as you don't "teach" yourself the kata (i.e. repetitiously practicing what you see on a video without learning application or correct technique), I don't think it would hurt to look at your next kata.

I've been doing that with my TKD patterns. I like to watch a video clip of my next pattern a few times to "familiarise" myself with it and get a general idea of the gist of the pattern, although I've not learned a TKD pattern just through watching a video.

I didn't do that when I was coming up through the Karate ranks but I have learned a couple of weapons kata from videos. They were kata that Sensei was going to teach me anyway and I wanted to get a head start. However, I wish I'd not bothered because the video clip I downloaded was slightly different from the way my Sensei taught those kata and I kept getting muddled.

I think watching a video of a kata is good to help you get a general idea of what the kata/pattern is like (some are faster than others for example) but learning one from a video is a bad idea IMO. It's a good aid to training if you already know the basics/basic outline of the kata and want to brush up, but not good for learning from scratch.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Another point to make, if you dont have permission from your instructor to learn a more advanced kata, do not do so. Makes them mad! :P

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Another point to make, if you dont have permission from your instructor to learn a more advanced kata, do not do so. Makes them mad! :P

Indeed!

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Good point!!

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei