• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Baji Quan vs Choy Lay Fut vs Hung Gar

Hi I would like to hear your views on this topic, which style do you think work best in long range and which in close range and which one of them is a better overall well rounded style, thanks.

As far as I can tell, Baji Quan really sucks in long range but can be really deverstating in close range so I won't say it's a well rounded style, can you guys tell me more about other styles?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dingyuan-

Hung Ga would send Baji Quan :bawling: :cry: & Choy Lay Fut :bawling: :cry: running home to mommy.

Ok, I'm a little biased :brow:

Forget about "style" focus on the martial artist instead. If practice makes perfect then the one who trains harder would have the advantage.

HG used to be exclusive short range then lohan movements were added to give it med/long range techiques as well.

The only thing I know about Baji is Imperial palace bodyguards used to be trained in it. Is there a BQ website you know of?

i'm not a big fan of that site.

it is so obviously biased towards chinese styles and i have no idea who the author is, not to mention that there are some very dubious stories on there that defy actual recorded history.

all very suspect.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

i'm not a big fan of that site.

it is so obviously biased towards chinese styles and i have no idea who the author is, not to mention that there are some very dubious stories on there that defy actual recorded history.

all very suspect.

I understand, I never really read those stories but you can check out some Baji Quan technics for fun. The author is a Baji Quan instructor I believe he did however admits that Muay Thai is a superior style compare to San Shou and other traditional Chinese martial arts, he pretty bias against Karate and TKD through.

well, if you look into the origins of san shou and then look at the rules, you'll see that to an extent, the thai boxers are limited (or is it that the rules favour the san shou guy?) in that environment whilst at the same time, introducing throws, which scores lots of points, that the thai boxer doesn't naturally have in their normal training.

look at it this way.

why did they need to make a new rule-set in order to beat the thai boxers? also, the san shou guys tend to win by points as well..... of course this is a very narrow-minded and suspicious line of thought but the point is still relevant;

do san shou guys win consistantly in regular muay thai rules matches?

anyway....

i digress.

perhaps i am too suspicious.

thing is, i see something on one source, fine, i'll keep it in mind.

when i DON'T see that same thing anywhere else, i begin to wonder why. this is especially the case on the internet, which is why i really do not like people stating their opinions and suppositions as fact. anyone new coming into that post will probably take it as fact and then before you know, it has become 'fact'.

oops, there i go again.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

I have looked through the site carefully and I have come to the conclusion that the author is not as pro CMA that some people might think.

As far as Thai boxers and the San shou fights are concerned. If the Thai's think that the rules are unfair to their style of fighting then they should not enter into combat with the Sanshou guys.

Anyway, thai boxers have always been happily thrashing other martial artists who fought under Thai rules.

KungFuMan

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.

Whoops I almost forgot, for more info on bajiquan checkout https://www.bajimen.com

My personal opinion is that it is a very practical and devastating style. The training is very hard. However, apparently it can be learnt and put into practice in a relatively short amount of time.

KungFuMan

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.

I have looked through the site carefully and I have come to the conclusion that the author is not as pro CMA that some people might think.

As far as Thai boxers and the San shou fights are concerned. If the Thai's think that the rules are unfair to their style of fighting then they should not enter into combat with the Sanshou guys.

Anyway, thai boxers have always been happily thrashing other martial artists who fought under Thai rules.

KungFuMan

there aren't a whole lot of thai boxers who do compete in san shou at this time. their biggest appearances are in various kickboxing rule (american, international, thai) competitions and in MMA. It wouldn't be a huge crossover for a thaiboxer though, i'd imagine - just stylistic difference - preference to sidekick over the teep, the distance kept in the clinch, etc. these differences are there for strategic resaons, but can be adapted to.

For the pro cma guys, another thing to keep in mind about san shou is that not all of the fighters have trained in strictly traditional cma. some trained at camps geared only towards san shou. others have cross trained in other styles. some, while being pure cma, cross train with guys at the san shou camps.

KungFuMan

there aren't a whole lot of thai boxers who do compete in san shou at this time. their biggest appearances are in various kickboxing rule (american, international, thai) competitions and in MMA. It wouldn't be a huge crossover for a thaiboxer though, i'd imagine - just stylistic difference - preference to sidekick over the teep, the distance kept in the clinch, etc. these differences are there for strategic resaons, but can be adapted to.

For the pro cma guys, another thing to keep in mind about san shou is that not all of the fighters have trained in strictly traditional cma. some trained at camps geared only towards san shou. others have cross trained in other styles. some, while being pure cma, cross train with guys at the san shou camps.

Yeah you are right, I think Liu Hailong trained in Tae Kwon Do.