• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Back into karate after long absence

UsagiYojimbo

Hi all. I actually used to hang out on this board about a year and a half ago, when I started taking a Shuai Chiao class. My previous training (about ten years ago) had been in goju ryu; I did S.C. for a little while, but it just didn't seem like the right school for me. I just recently found out a friend of mine is an associate instructor at a Shito Ryu club at the university here, so I'm going to check that out with her this weekend. Also, after seemingly endless searching, I _finally_ found someone who teaches goju ryu in this area. It was almost impossible to track them down, because they don't run a school; they teach out of a recreation center instead. This means that the classes are much, much cheaper, but I'm not sure about the level of training, class style, etc. I'm going to check them out next week. Anyway, just saying hi again after a long absence. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was almost impossible to track them down, because they don't run a school; they teach out of a recreation center instead. I'm not sure about the level of training, class style, etc.

This is fairly common with Goju for some reason. Where I live, there are 4 people with 16-30 years of Goju experience teaching. Only one has a commercial school. The most experienced of us all with an enormous wealth of knowledge teaches in his basement (a friend of mine I work out with occasionally).

Don't be put off by the location. This can often mean they're more interested in teaching what they know than making money

Yeah, I had this experience when I practiced goju before. Our senseis were a husband and wife team. They had a small school, but they didn't charge enough to make any money at it. I wonder why goju in particular seems to have this trait?

This is fairly common with Goju for some reason. Where I live, there are 4 people with 16-30 years of Goju experience teaching. Only one has a commercial school. The most experienced of us all with an enormous wealth of knowledge teaches in his basement (a friend of mine I work out with occasionally).

Don't be put off by the location. This can often mean they're more interested in teaching what they know than making money

Welcome back...now give me 10 laps and 50 push-ups on your knuckles! LOL That is literally what sensei said (jokingly) to one of our own returning students; you should have seen the look on this face, it was hilarious!

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Hi all. I actually used to hang out on this board about a year and a half ago, when I started taking a Shuai Chiao class. My previous training (about ten years ago) had been in goju ryu; I did S.C. for a little while, but it just didn't seem like the right school for me. I just recently found out a friend of mine is an associate instructor at a Shito Ryu club at the university here, so I'm going to check that out with her this weekend. Also, after seemingly endless searching, I _finally_ found someone who teaches goju ryu in this area. It was almost impossible to track them down, because they don't run a school; they teach out of a recreation center instead. This means that the classes are much, much cheaper, but I'm not sure about the level of training, class style, etc. I'm going to check them out next week. Anyway, just saying hi again after a long absence. :)

Welcome back and may your training go well. Goju is a good school. I have a friend who is an 8th Dan in Gojuryu

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Thanks. I actually have a bit of a dilemma going on right now. I just checked out a club yesterday that I really liked. The only problem is, with my current schedule, I would only be able to attend one of the meetings per week until May. I'm checking out another one tomorrow, but the same deal applies. So I'm wondering if I should sign up for one class now and just start with once a week until May, or if I should wait until then, so I have more time to dedicate to it. We shall see...