• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Muay thai teep VS Kickboxing Sidekicks

If both are facing each other and the MT throw a teep and the KB throw a sidekick who's going to have the upperhand?

There will be a day that you can't cope with your life, I want you to look at the star and remember, I always smile back at you. luV u lots Jen

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

depends on who is throwing them and how the side kick is thrown. If it's a side snap kick, it may not adequately reach it's target.

if it's a side thrust kick:

does the person lean their whole body away from the kick, or are they upright? where is it aimed?

there are alot of factors in a question like that. Theoretically, the teep should be faster, because it is not chambered - it lifts of the ground from directly where it is.

on the other hand, a teep is not a power kick - so the sidekick should be stronger. that's not to say a teep can't inflict damage, but they are mainly probing and set up techniques - similar to a jab.

the hard part about it is to throw a side kick you kinda have to go to a more side stance this leaves your leg open for roundhouses.

thats why tai fighters dont throw to many. there stance is rather square to protect their leg.

also if you just snap it out it does not cause to much damage. however if you thrust your hip you leave yourself open for many counter atacks. so if you throw it you must hit.

that being said i throw about 2 or 3 side kicks in my fights ( three rounds).

its not a bad kick just dont make a living off of it.

if the rules dont permit leg kicks side kick away.

the hard part about it is to throw a side kick you kinda have to go to a more side stance this leaves your leg open for roundhouses.

thats why tai fighters dont throw to many. there stance is rather square to protect their leg.

you can lift it straight off the ground, like a front kick. you pivot once you throw it, then pivot back. you don't have to be in a side stance. However, it is a chambered kick, and thai boxing does not advocate chambering.

also if you just snap it out it does not cause to much damage. however if you thrust your hip you leave yourself open for many counter atacks. so if you throw it you must hit.

you thrust your hip in all forward motion thai techniques - long knee, short knee, teep...

have you ever seen bill wallace kick? his front, side, round and hook kicks all use the same chamber - it looks like he is chambering a front kick, but he changes it to something else.

i have seen wallaces and i have seen other guys do it. with great effect.

i have tried but never had an aptitude for it.will give it a go for a few months and see how it goes.

i can do it well in the air and on bags but never as well while sparring

thanks