• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To wash or not to wash?

dtstiachi

If you are working out, wash your uniform. I've never heard of a personal hygiene sacrifice as a way to enlightenment.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

God this is a HUGE stipidity. I have only one karategi, a heavy weight one (that's because in my country the monthly wage is 150 USD so I can't afford another one too soon). That means I can wash it only once a week, since it takes ages to dry. The idea is it's dirty and sweaty (although I don't sweat to heavily). Still I wear my top just 2 times and train the other 2 times that week with a tshirt and the pants. I know I should have it cleaned more often, but so far this is all I can do.

Stilll... never wash it? That's the biggest junk I ever heard. Wash it VERY often, you could try to have everythime a clean gi with you, that's the ideal. always train in a brand clean karategi.

I'm against keeping even the belt dirty and sweaty ... never occured to me people would have "fantasies" like this with their gis :D

I wash it once a week usually - basically after two sessions - unless one of them has been a real heavy session - then it gets banged straight in the washer - and when I am at home it tends to get washed more often - but it is harder for me to wash it at univeristy cos there's no washing machine in my flat! haha

As for washing ur belt/obi then I have only ever done theat about twice when I got blood on it. Apart from that I just don't! One good reason not to wash a coloured belt with ur gi is that one guy that trains with us came in with an orange-tinted gi once cos his ran in the wash! lol

I most definatly wash my gi.No disrespect to your Sensai but not ever washing your gi is just gross! I don't wash my obi though.Why? Tradition! :)

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

I don't wash my obi for a very traditional reason.............I don't want it to shrink and end up having that "great" bowtie look :D :D

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei