• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Watching/Evaluating a Kata

Hello all,

I'm wondering, when you are watching your students perform a kata, what goes through your mind? Aside from the physical techniques, do you consider "the story" of the kata? Do you think about the intent of the kata's philosophy?

Actually, I think about that cute gal I met last weekend while out dancing. :brow:

Oh...uhhhh...well, not really. No, I don't think about any story behind a kata, I look for proper technique, speed, power, balance, intensity, etc. Basically, are they doing the kata properly?

If you are judging, do you take this into consideration when you decide upon the score?

Since all I judge are open, all style tournaments, I don't know the storys behind their kata. I use the same criteria as I do with my own kata. It's amazing how many black belt competitors have sloppy, weak technique out there in competitions. The higher the belt, the more I expect from a competitor. I realize also that other systems techniques aren't the same as mine, and I take that into consideration...but power and intensity should be the same especially at the black belt level.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Crisp, clean technique. Good focus and power, proper speed and flow of the techniques.

Beyond this, can I visualize the opponent that the techniques are directed at? Are the techniques, stances and movements reaistic enough that I can imagine the intention of the techniques, based one the kata being shown?

If one has proper visualization, good technique, power and control, an observer with a conceptual understanding of fighting skills should be able to envision what is being portrayed.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

Story is perhaps the wrong word...what I mean is, do the techniques executed look as though they would work if a person was placed on the receiving end. I guess that is also has the philosophical point of view as well, as you folks have already commented on.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu