• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help! Choosing between 2 good dojos!

snazzed

Go with #2. You're starting again from the beginning anyway, so what shame is it that your belt white? You will find that picking up a different style is infinitely more simple than when you started for the first time. You should know how to learn Karate by now.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You're not too old.

Since you already have experience, you're going to pick things up significantly faster than the "usual" student.

I made a similar transition back in 1997, having studied Shotokan Karate and Tae Kwon Do for over a decade, and having a dan ranking in both styles. I didn't mind starting at white belt all over again, even though it was in an Okinawan Karate style.

I don't regret my choice one bit. Going back to the beginning taught me to keep a more attentive eye on the basics, and to clean up many undesireable habits that had formed along the way. I went through the ranks faster than the others, but it was never really about the rank, and instead, more about the knowledge.

Furthermore, it's entirely possible, that the new style you're studying may be working muscles that you had previously not conditioned, and it's safer to gradually build things up.

Well, no disrespect to Yondans was meant.

Every Dojo I have been to has been lead by one, and only one, 5th Degree or higher. Sensei 5th degree may not always be there, in which case a lower degree teaches, but there has always been the 5th degree. The fact that these people are among the best I've seen and are teaching a class and are 4th, was a little surprising.

I have never been involved with a Dojo where a Black Belt is guaranteed. In fact, I've been doing Martial Arts for 6yrs + and I don't have my BB. I was just very impressed with the skill and technique this individual displayed... and again every Dojo I have been to has been lead by a 5th Degree.

I don't recall ever saying that Yondan was not an accomplishment or implying that they were a common sight or ordering one with Ketchup and I don't ---

I'm gonna stop here before I start ranting. 6 years, no BB, 30 and I'm considering going to a new Dojo that would toss my rank. I'm thoroughly crankified by your assertion that I'm from a McDojo and looking for the quick and easy path.

snazzed

Edited by snazzed

4yr Shotokan, 2yr Hapkido, 1mth Chito-Ryu.

The Hapkido place devolved into a McDojo during my stay.

"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand."

Well, no disrespect to Yondans was meant.

Every Dojo I have been to has been lead by one, and only one, 5th Degree or higher. Sensei 5th degree may not always be there, in which case a lower degree teaches, but there has always been the 5th degree. The fact that these people are among the best I've seen and are teaching a class and are 4th, was a little surprising.

I have never been involved with a Dojo where a Black Belt is guaranteed. In fact, I've been doing Martial Arts for 6yrs + and I don't have my BB. I was just very impressed with the skill and technique this individual displayed... and again every Dojo I have been to has been lead by a 5th Degree.

I don't recall ever saying that Yondan was not an accomplishment or implying that they were a common sight or ordering one with Ketchup and I don't

I'm gonna stop here before I start ranting. 6 years, no BB, in my thirties and I'm considering going to a new Dojo that would toss my rank. I'm thoroughly crankified by your assertion that I'm fromk a McDojo and looking for the quick and easy path.

snazzed

Yeah, I agree the response was a bit over the top...

Your use of "only" was a little misleading, but if it means anything to you, I know what you meant. Your intention was as a compliment to the instructor's skill, not an insult to his rank.

I know people who didn't start until they were in their seventies...you'll be fine.

Everyone's journey is different. You have to take the path that is right for you.

i would go with the one that fits easiest in your schedule.

i personally am resuming after a 2 year hiatus, and in looking for a school, I decided to drive back and forth to my hometown 1 day a week, to finish out training from a particular sensei and achieve my black belt from him, before starting somewhere new. I am currently brown, and hoping to test in July.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."