• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tournament KATAS

tommy2u

The New Shi-tei Kata for the WKF is what is going to be mandatory. For personal katas, Seinchin, Bassai-dai, and Matsumaraha Rohai. I am in Shi-to Ryu, we have over sixty katas.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the new rules, the Shi-to Ryu Seianchin was taken. The Goju style katas are Seipai and Saifai.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

• 2 months later...
go to a national event, watch them, buy some videos of past national events. Copy moves and make your own kata. Or copy a traditional one from another style. All you need is a video. Just dont copy some freestyle guys form move for move.

You need to find a school that teaches sport karate. I'm not sure where you're from but if you live in Rhode Island check out Straight Up Kicking in Pawtucket they do exactly what you're looking for.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

On 2002-02-06 20:49, SaiFightsMS wrote:

Is there a middle ground? I really don't know. And I really don't think it matters as long as the person involved is happy with what they are doing.

I think that is the middle ground, SaiFights. If everyone just let people practice MA for whatever their reason might be, then there wouldn't be bickering between the sport factions and the traditionalists and the tourney people and the...

Personally, I like the traditional aspects and would like to see more people practice MA and see the whole picture. But I'd also hate to see someone turned off from MA just because they're more interested in the sports aspects, or self-defense, or whatever. MA is a great thing (we all know that)--we should leave people to make their own decisions about what it means to them.

Chris Tessone

Yellow Belt, Kuk Sool Won

[ This Message was edited by: tessone on 2002-06-02 03:20 ]

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

If you are looking for shorin ryu kata I suggest going to Copenhagen Shorin Ryu Karate School on the net or visiting black and blue video. I am wondering what type of competition you are doing and what category you are competing in, open or traditional. :smile: :smile: :up:

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

One comment.... If you plan on doing an open form then I hope you are a good kicker. Most of the emphasis on open forms revolves around kicking. Work on kicking drills and incorporate a pop up front kick, 540, or 720 into the form.

If you are doing a tradition form weather you slightly modify it or not, make sure you have DEEP stances and strong technique.

Good Luck,

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

• 1 month later...
though my tournament days are long gone (I'm 35, and y "KI has sunk :smile: ...toward my belt!), I used to do Unsu and Sochin. After watching ESPN the other night,a dn not seeeing anything resembling karate, though there was a lot of "kuhROTTy," I don't know what to tell you. In traditional tournaments, Unsu usually cleans up. One of my seniors has done reasonably well with Gankaku.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I really hate the idea of "kata for tournaments" and worrying about whether your kata will score highly, or even, worst of all, MODIFYING the kata just to make it score higher.

The "best" kata is not always the highest scoring tournament favorite - see Motobu and Naihanchi.

I actually want to learn kata that contain combat moves, not tournament flash.

Anyway, as others have said, each to their own. I imagine if you want tournament effective kata you couldn't go wrong with JKA style Shotokan, as it's kind of an "industry standard", so to speak. OTOH, Shi-To Ryu has about 50 katas - pretty much everything from the original shuri-te, naha-te and tomari-te has found its way in, so you'll have a good choice.

KarateForums.com - Sempai