• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you measure yourself?

AnonymousOne

Training with others is a great way to give you a reality check. I've started to travel several times a year to other places in the US to receive extra training or go to various camps to gain perspectives about myself and to learn extra things from people beyond my immediate training circle.

As far as your self goes, you have to constantly think about efficiency. No matter how strong you are, you will lose muscle as you age. Therefore you must seek continual depth and understanding of your techniques. I don't concern myself with actual measures, I just actively train nearly every day to get better.

I think in too many places there is too much of an emphasis on training rather than getting better. There are often some things you simply won't get without countless repetition. However, many people neglect the critical thought process necessary to evaluate themselves and to continually question why they do anything they way they do it. Most people simply become repeating automatons that go through the motions and train regularly, but don't improve.

One of my old instructors used to tell us that there are two ways of training for thirty years. One is to train a single year thirty times in a row. The other is to train thirty different years, each one better than the last.

Sadly, I've met those who've fallen somewhat in the former category.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with Shorin Ryuu, and it's not just because we think alike.

Not to sound or come off as arrogant, but I know a lot. There are tons of concepts and ideas in my head that I've gathered from training with various karateka and people from other styles as well as reading and independent study. But, if I can't apply physically all the things I've learned mentally, it's all just academic. I measure my progress by how much and how well I am able to physically apply what I've learned and how well I can alter those concepts under different conditions. When what I know and understand about a concept physically manifests itself in my performance of a technique, I know I have progressed.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com