• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you measure yourself?

AnonymousOne

A marathoner runs usually 2 hours per day. They do the same thing over and over … running. They can accurately measure the distance and time it, to check progress and performance.

A high jumper can clearly measure how high they jump. A shot putter can measure how far he throws.

But… how does a Karate-ka measure accurately their progress? I am not referring to mediocre progress, I am referring to hardcore peak performance measurement with great accuracy.

With the Karate-ka having to perform so many different techniques, how do “you” measure yourself?

I am specifically referring to karate technique. I am not talking about supplementary training like weights or running etc but actual Karate technique.

Do you feel the way modern Karate is taught, that there is adequate measuring tools?

Is the belt grading system enough to measure correctly?

With all the scientific testing abilities today, do you feel Karate is neglecting their use for peak performance assessment?

How would you recommend one tests their overall abilities to check progress accurately?

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which scientific test tests for grace, balance and focus?

Which tests for perfection of technique?

Some skills can only be evaluated by an observer - dance, gymnastics, diving etc.

To get yourself into an observer's position, use video to replay your kata. Put it on slow motion forward and try not to hate me after for suggesting this!! :)

To get yourself into an observer's position, use video to replay your kata. Put it on slow motion forward and try not to hate me after for suggesting this!! :)

I've thought about doing this... I think I'll try it when I get home for spring break next week... wonder which ugly mistake I'm going to notice first :uhoh: :P

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

But… how does a Karate-ka measure accurately their progress? I am not referring to mediocre progress, I am referring to hardcore peak performance measurement with great accuracy.

With the Karate-ka having to perform so many different techniques, how do “you” measure yourself?

I am specifically referring to karate technique. I am not talking about supplementary training like weights or running etc but actual Karate technique.

How would you recommend one tests their overall abilities to check progress accurately?

Great question oh unknown one. :)

I've thought about the same thing myself. Would this really work?, How fast am I?, How good am I? Well, maybe I really suck? I can tell I have progressed but how far?

In answer to your question I'll tell you how I figured it out. :idea:

When you train in the same place with the same people all the time it's hard to measure yourself. I had a real positive enlightening while I recently attended a seminar. There were many people there who were quicker and stronger than me. The intensity is always up a notch or 2. If my techniques were not good I would surely get hit. I paired up for drills and sparring with people who I know were considerably better than me a year or 2 ago and I was able to keep up with little difficulty and not only hold my own but take it to them a bit. It just seemed easier than it did before.

Every year I have my anual benchmark. There is no real way to know how you have progressed without the help of others. :karate:

When you get that look of surprise from your peers who you haven't trained with for a while and a few encouraging comments it makes a big difference. :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I measure my progress, technique, and effectiveness by asking myself a question my sensei continually asks me.

"So, how does it feel?"

There are a lot of ways to answer this question. But more important then the answer is the asking of the question. You see it trains awareness of the technique. If something isn't working you should feel it. If something is working well you should feel that. And the better it gets, the better it should feel. My sensei has always said that your body tries to tell you how well something is working. It talks to you. And if you learn to listen then you can judge your progress, be it from month to month, year to year, or from the beginning of a technique to the end.

So how do you know if your measurement is working? Well that's what a sensei is for. If you're so high in rank that you no longer have seniors then by that time I figure you probably know darn well how effective your measurement is.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I have a feeling that you might tear into me for this, but I find tournaments a great way to measure what I have learned.

It's amazing how much I think I know. For example, I learn techniques in class and can perform them well. However when I go to a tournament it really shows me what has actually been learned to a point that it is instinctive. The things that I learn and think that I will use in a tournament completely slip my mind.

Adrenaline, stress, nerves, and pressure will strip away any skill that is not engrained into your brain and your muscle memory.

No tearing from me, Dijita. I agree.. the only tournament I've competed in; conciously: as my kata was going on.. I couldn't remember the next sequence!.. fortunatly, I had just practiced it enough to the point where "reflex" took over and I finished it no problem..

I'd have to agree that tournaments/competition are a good way to measure ability. Not necessarily in a self-defense situation; but on some levels it definitely tests your karate knowledge.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I video tape myself during a workout and belt tests. This helps to analyze your own technique and see what you're doing wrong.

"On Ko Chi Shin"