• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fight Stances

I do TKD where we don't do leg kicks but I have a few training buddies from karate and kick boxing who like hamering the outside thigh.

I have no TKD experience, and we're taught to keep almost all of our kicks below the solar plexus, but you're making me thinking about hammering the outside thigh. In doing so, do you find that opponents block your strikes or tend to try and capture your leg? We have a blackbelt at our class that loves capturing, so kicking needs to be either lightning fast or devastatingly effective.

Although others may not notice this, I do, that when my weight is down more I tend to punch more. Only slightly however, I still keep about a 65/35 split. When my weight is a little more up, I tend to kick just a hair more at about a 60/40 punch to kick split. When I spar for my TKD team this number is more like 10/90 punch to kick. Of course, this is accounting for the rules.

Actually, I notice that too. With the Isshinryu we learn, we're taught to keep low, deeper centre of balance, thus making most kicking tougher. After you said that I realize I favour punching in a deeper stance, but kicking in a higher stance.

Yeesh, this is giving me wonderful ideas for sparring tomorrow. :D

Lure with bait; Strike with chaos.

~ I: Making of Plans, "Art of War", Sun Tzu.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

karatekid1975:

You are the first person I heard say that, Kicks LOL. I mean, about the front leg fighters being predictable, specially being a TKD guy.

Really? I must be unique, one of a kind, an odd ball :P

My point of view comes from my exposure to WTF (Olympic style) sparring and competition. You have to hit with power to score, and a front leg roundhouse usually doesn't carry that much power when compared to a rear leg roundhouse. But front leg fighters will still use it 80% of the time. That's when I reply with back kicks, spin kicks, slide outs with double roundhouse, etc. Occasionally they'll skip in with a front leg side kick or ax to the head. I have a little trouble with the sidekick if the guy (or gal) is quick enough.

The front leg kicker has one thing going for him, a quicker attack. Trust me, I use my share of front leg kicks, but I mix it up a lot. Once the knee is up the defender doesn't know if you're throwing a front kick, side kick, roundhouse, or ax. Also, if you're not fast enough to throw a rear leg roundhouse you stand a good chance of being creamed while your body is rotating forward. I think that's why a lot of folks I spar use their front legs a lot, they just can't always beat me to the punch (or kick) with that rear leg.

But it all comes with practice, and correct practice. It comes with 'sport specific' training. If you want to be fast, you have to train specifically for speed. But that's a whole 'nuther story.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

I haven't read this whole thread yet, so this maay have been said, but don't think about fighting in "stances" if you do, then you are thinking along the wrong lines. Stances are transitory - you don't stand in them permanently.

For example, let's say you throw a punch. I step out into a high forward stance as I block. from there, I grab your sleeve and pull you off balance, as I bring my rear leg up to set up a shoulder throw. Now, as I turn and fit in for the throw, I am in a horse stance. You catch on to it and try to step over my leg. I readjust, and throw you with tai otoshi - putting me in another modified forward stance.

you throw a punch and I step back as I parry, lightening the weight on my front foot so that I may counter with it - I am in a cat stance now.

See where I'm going? stances are part of footwork - transitions while fighting.

After you said that I realize I favour punching in a deeper stance, but kicking in a higher stance.

Nothing wrong with punching from a higher, more mobile stance. look at boxers...

Also, if you're not fast enough to throw a rear leg roundhouse you stand a good chance of being creamed while your body is rotating forward. I think that's why a lot of folks I spar use their front legs a lot, they just can't always beat me to the punch (or kick) with that rear leg.

That's my biggest problem right now. I can't get the back side of my body turned quickly enough to throw a kick from the away side. I telegraph too much and by the time my leg is out, my opponent is 10' away or got their instep smashing my crotch. Cup or no cup, do that a few times and you'll never throw out of the back leg again.

:cry:

Back to practice tonight!

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

that's probably a stance issue. do you stand fully sideways, or are you more squared up to your opponent? Also, the rear roundhouse kick is best used when it is set up by something - punches work well. I wouldn't advise just throwing it by itself unless you have a very fast one.

Since I don't spare, I can only give you my take on actual combat and stances. When I'm encountering a confrontation and I know I will probably have to fight, I'd make sure the person doesn't have a clue that I'm about to lay him flat. You see, If you drop into a stance on the street, do you really think it's gonna scare the guy or make him more nervous? In most cases it's just gonna get you into more trouble, increasing chances of him fighting you and being more prepared, as well as showing the court later on that you know Martial Arts and that you did not make an atempt to walk away... So for a real confrontation, I'm going to stand in a normal posture vaguly resembling a half-horse with about a foot of space between my feet. It's better to be sneaky about it than to drop into a shotokan stance and scream like a samurai warrior...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

Jarrettmeyer

That's my biggest problem right now. I can't get the back side of my body turned quickly enough to throw a kick from the away side. I telegraph too much and by the time my leg is out, my opponent is 10' away

SevenStar

that's probably a stance issue. do you stand fully sideways, or are you more squared up to your opponent? Also, the rear roundhouse kick is best used when it is set up by something - punches work well. I wouldn't advise just throwing it by itself unless you have a very fast one.

SevenStar took the words right out of my mouth, or off my keyboard. You need to square off your stance. Don't stand where your rear leg has to clear (go around) your front leg. The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, right? So keep the line clear. Also, if your opponent isn't thinking about that rear leg, then you'll have the jump on him. Action is faster than reaction. Hit with front leg, fake with rear, back to front leg and punches, and then throw rear leg.

To protect yourself when throwing the rear leg, make an offensive move first (skip or slide in) to get your opponent moving back, but you cover the distance and throw the kick. Some people have trouble punching or kicking while moving in reverse.

For speed, practice on small woodland animals. :brow:

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes