• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kibadachi to Kibadachi

Red Triangle student

Does anyone else find it hard to go from Kibadachi to Kibadachi in Kata and keep their form?

Any Advice?

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One of the basic kata that I teach has kiba to kiba stepping.

The key to making it work is to perform moving stances down the floor and back. Leg strengthening also helps: squats, lunges, etc.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

A kata called shiho hai in Shorin Ryu goes from kiba to kiba in a square pattern. Yes this is the hard part of this kata. I find it hard to hold a kibadashi in any kata let alone with transitions in it.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

Ahhhhh Kiba dachi the killer stance.

Back in the 70's when I was a kyu grade I had a hell of a hard time with this stance.

Our school are fanatics at having the stance right. In Kiba Dachi, the feet must be perfectly paralell to each other stance must be low and deep. For some people its a killer.

There is only one solution. Practise, practise, practise.

Practise moving in and out of it over and over and over and over and over !!

Also sit in the stance for as long as you can, preferably with a weight on your shoulders, on a regular basis

There is no short cut with this one

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

It is difficult because your center of gravity is a good distance from either of your supporting feet. When both feet are on the ground, it's very solid and well balanced. Once you lift one of your feet you are very off balance. In order to step, you will have to either move very quickly, or bring your feet together during the pivot so that your center is above your supporting foot.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

What do you mean 'going from a kibadachi into a kibadachi'? Do you mean stepping in kibadachi?

My hardest stance is a kokutsudachi, bar none. It's the hardest whether I'm doing kata, sparring, stepping, anything.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

Ahhh,

I believe I was limiting myself by a lack of imagination - I had the 'stepping' to be by facing in the same direction, a shuffle step so to speak.

I find a full step from kibadachi into kibadachi facing the other direction in Jion, Jiin, Jutte, and some of the weapon's kata, for instance.

To make this easier, may I suggest that instead of stepping, ie, lifting your foot and then swinging it to the new position, that you drive into the new position by using a push into the floor like you would if you were skating. This driving push allows you to move your body weight without having to straighten the knees which breaks the stance.

A step forces you to lift the body weight to move it from the back foot onto the front foot so the back can move. The drive cuts thru all that for a lower stronger stance change.

One the other hand, many beginners get the habit of leaning away from or swaying away from the direction of the step to load their body weight back so they can use the momentum of shifting thieir body weight forward to "pull" the back foot up. You will / may even see black belts doing that but it is a sign in our club that that person is still deficient in skills and body control.

You can also try to do it by relaxing the knee of the leg that is moving. Rather than pushing off the ground, you shift into position. It telegraphs less than a push off the ground.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/