• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone ever hear of Goju?

Marshall Hart

I'm a goju guy. 15yrs and running. I think everyone has covered the bases quite well. Enjoy!

In this life of mine I have seen nothing, known nothing or no one,not even myself or my God,that has not been both hard and soft.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 3 months later...
Yes, Shorin Ryuu is perfectly right... So I just add on top of it. This style enphasize breathing exercises and ci kung practice. It has two katas (forms) mostly devoted to this Sanchin and Tensho.

actually known as Ikibuki breathing

Osu

I have never trained in Goju Ryu but it has had my interest for a number of years. My interest in it really caught with my finding of hojo undo and the goju ryu methods of conditioning and strengthening.

Here is a website for you also on Goju Ryu: http://www.iogkf.com/

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Goju-Ryu is similar to Shotokan. We often have tournaments with Goju people

This is only a superficial similarity. How do I know?

Training in Goju since 1986. Studied Shotokan 3 years before that. Work out with friends in shotokan (usually sandans or higher)

You will not see the huge differences in a tournament, especially in sparring because of the rules. Certain Goju kata are rarely done in a tournament because they don't score well as ther are too many soft techniques.

Sorry, I just meant that they are categorized as traditional Okinawa styles that often compete together. I actually don't know too much about Goju, I was just assuming (from previous competitions) when I made that post. My mistake, I apologize for any misleading information.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Training in Goju since 1986. Studied Shotokan 3 years before that. Work out with friends in shotokan (usually sandans or higher)

You will not see the huge differences in a tournament, especially in sparring because of the rules. Certain Goju kata are rarely done in a tournament because they don't score well as ther are too many soft techniques.

Definitely have to agree. I've trained with a few Goju practitioners. They interpret the bunkai very differently. It actually reminded me more of Aiki Jujitsu than Shotokan. Very impressive system and very well rounded.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

yeah, our katas arent that visually appealing for tournaments unfortunately, but we sure know how to hold our own in the ring and streets. :brow:

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu