• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well davidson, if you're proficient enough in the technique, it will work quite well in a real life situation (most likely better than it does when you randori). Its a basic go to technique that has many setups.

It just might save your skin if you have the unfortunate luck of being the guy on the bottom if the fight ends up on the ground.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

triangle choke in the street.....dont forget that you can punch him while he is in that choke. at my gym we do much nhb. it is a bad position to be in as they can punch your face as you try to keep your head up. and tighten the choke when you try to cover with your arm

That sounds like a bit of overkill mai tai (you've already got the choke set) but you do bring up a good point. In the case you dont want to choke someone out, the triangle is a great position to completely neutralize someone and allow you to sweep them to the bottom and then strike the face at will- almost in a humiliating way.

gumbi... perhaps i didnt explain myself well.

first let me start off by saying the triangle is not one of my greatest moves...but im working on it....in fact when there are no strikes i ussally use it to set up an arm bar.

however i will explain my nhb senerio that has happened multiple times.

1. when they are winding up to strike me i drop a leg over the arm that is cocked back. (very easy to do)

2. at this point he choke is not quite as tight as i would want it.(on the occations when it is i just wait for the tap)

the guy will drop arm around my back and arch his neck to look for breathing room.

3 if we are not striking i would .1. yank arm around

2. pull on head and sink choke deeper

3. go for arm bar

4. go uma platta (im sure i spelt that wrong)

4. but today we strike.....i will use free hands to strike...this forces him to A.take the shots

B. bring his hand in to defend and lower his head

i then tighten the choke.

Absolutely mai tai- thats a great way to set up a triangle- to be honost though, I think I just might rather using both hands to pull his head down (although I could use 1 to pull and the other to punch).

gumbi its kind of interesting you say that. i am a nhb fighter and i hold no allance to striking or grappling. i love both. i dont think grappling or striking is a type of style so much as a phase of the fight.

that being said now that i am taking on nhb fights i llike to cultivate the rep as a striker.

is striking better? certainly not

but in the ring people fear a striker. emotionally

why? cause if you tap me out i just tap and go home.

if you strike me out i sport a busted nose and swelled eyes for a while.

in the street a broken arm can be devistating. however im too old for streetfights.

Of course you fear the striker. Greater chance for injury and an instant knockout. At least with the grappling you have a chance for reversal or to tap. But with a well placed strike, the guy is out cold, injured and has a healthy dose of fear of future conflicts.

Hence the need to learn good strikes when trying to become a good fighter, or simply trying to learn combat self-defense!

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness."

-The Book of the Void (A Book of Five Rings)

"Men don't start fights, but they do finish them."

Of course you fear the striker. Greater chance for injury and an instant knockout. At least with the grappling you have a chance for reversal or to tap. But with a well placed strike, the guy is out cold, injured and has a healthy dose of fear of future conflicts.

!

Not neccessarily true- I've seen many upsets where the better striker was caught with a good punch from a grappler and beaten at his own game, even though the striker is phenominally better. I guess you could call that a lucky punch. In grappling though, no one ever gets a "lucky" submission

As far as strikers being more feared, you're making a generalization that grapplers dont strike. They do, they simply do so in a position where you can strike back (on the ground). The most devestating ko's I've seen have happened on the ground.

!

Not neccessarily true- I've seen many upsets where the better striker was caught with a good punch from a grappler and beaten at his own game, even though the striker is phenominally better. I guess you could call that a lucky punch. In grappling though, no one ever gets a "lucky" submission

As far as strikers being more feared, you're making a generalization that grapplers dont strike. They do, they simply do so in a position where you can strike back (on the ground). The most devestating ko's I've seen have happened on the ground.

In grappling though, no one ever gets a "lucky" submission

Frank Mir submitted a black belt world champ when he was a purple :)

an NHB setting can certainly change the game. There are proabably alot of sport jiu jitsu grapplers who would get beat in a cage by lower ranked fighters who train specifically for nhb.