• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I certainly wouldn't say I'm a vet in the Hung Gar form, nor on this forum, although I can say with confidence that it's probably one of the best things I've taken up. And that's just not in martial arts or self-defense, but as a total system.

You need to go into it, and any art, very open minded. If you're looking to become highly skilled in a few weeks, it won't happen.

Also, Hung Gar training is very, very intense (at least at my school, where it is true Hung Gar). It's best to be in decent physical condition prior to attending classes, just to make it easier.

At least get your legs conditioned a bit, as roughly 80% of the class is spent in horse stance..which will absolutely kill, but you'll feel amazing at the end of the class as well.

And as for self-defense: Hung Gar is taught as warfare. You will, in time, be able to handle one or many opponents. Hung Gar is also very direct - there's no fancy kicking or anything radical like that.

It's simple, direct, and to the point.

Hope this helped! :D

"Beware the fury of a patient man."

- John Dryden

Hung Gar has a good rep where it's trained hard: lacklustre training won't cut it with this style.

Some top mantis people have trained HG first, and it was reckoned to be the best possible foundation.

Rgds,

David

** Censor-O-Meter: 9 **

I definately agree, KF Dude.

I can stand in my horse and watch TV, it's great! :D

- John Dryden

• 2 weeks later...

I studied HG for about a month before I made my mind up that this was a mcdojo. The last straw was when the sifu and I were talking after class about the other system of MA that I hold instructor rank in and he says to me,"if you teach me your system, I will teach you mine for free.I told him that I would think about it and left. I didn't go back for about three weeks and when I did return, I walked in to watching him teaching a technique that I had showed him. This is the second time I have been in this situation.So needless to say, I left for good.

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

Man just saw a video on Hung Gar and their training is really hard especially on the horse stance.

Do you Hung Gar guys know master Yu Zhiwei (not sure about his English name) who used to teach in New York? I saw him testing his student;s horse stand by standing on their legs...man..

Yeah, Hung Gar is extremely hardcore about horse stance. Eventually you'll become conditioned and can stay in horse while watching TV etc.

It's well worth the time you put in, too. In a battle situation you'll have a solid, powerful stance. You'll be nearly unmoveable when pushed - your legs will be beasts.

- John Dryden