• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate/Judo/Sumo what do the share in common?

Karate and Judo share strikes

umm... judo and strikes? you are right about the takedowns but strikes are only used in; i believe to be one kata. you are right about the take downs though.

i think that the thing that likes them strongly is the desire to better yourself. that the main thing i can think off!

you may freely give up your life, but never lose your honour

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

im sorry i though Judo had some strikes in there system. Umm what kata are you talking about?

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

Jujutsu is the english romanization of the sound of the word that in Japan signifies what we call "jujutsu". In Portuguese. "Jujutsu" doesn't sound like the english word "Jujutsu", but "Jiu jutsu" does sound closer to the Japanese term thus simulated. In Brazil, there is a major descendant of that art, when people learn it they learn to spell it like their teachers do, using the Portuguese term "Jiu jutsu" as is used by their teachers instead of the American term "Jujutsu".

I don't remember exactly, but I think if you put the word "Jujutsu" in front of a Brazilian and tell them to sound it out, it comes out as "Hoyyutsu" or "Hoyhotsu" or something of the sort - the pronunciation rules are diffferent. Obviously that doesn't sound like the japanese term.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Judo came from jujutsu and jujutsu came from sumo, so they must have something in common.

Also, the fighting arts of okinawa have been influenced to some extemt by sumo and jujutsu.

So all 3 (sumo, jujutsu and karate) will have common elements.

Jujutsu is not Sumo derivitive as far as i know , it has been influanced by Sumo but has chinese origins ..

is Jujutsu and JiuJitsu the same ?????

jujutsu cannot be verifiably linked to china... there is actually a debate about that going on on the chinese arts forum.

As for the spellings, yes, they are the same. jujutsu is the most correct romanization. jiu jitsu is a less correct form. However, that name was adopted by the brazilians when bjj was created. so these days, jujutsu is associated with the japanese style and jiu jitsu with the brazilian.

Some sources say that jujutsu have started in greece and transported to india by alexander the great's campaign , china , and the japan

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• 3 months later...

I dont knwo much about judo but in karate we use our chi to move us and control our body so it doesnt require muscle so you can move faster with less effort and gain much more power by using it and when you look at these huge sumo wrestlers they use chi as well as they are huge have amazing agility and speed especially for their size.

Focus

I mean they are all important in japan but i dont know much about the martial arts common things.

like in japan sumo is the national sport and karate is in the physcial education program and jujutsu is used by the police and riot control.

Focus

Karate and sumo share the shoto and palm strikes , they also share the sumo stance , thats all i know about it

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• 4 weeks later...

About Jujitsu/ Jujutsu....

What I've been told (don't shoot the messenger if I'm wrong) is that -jitsu and -jutsu are suffixes meaning "fighting" and "art" respectively, just as -do means "way". Therefore, jujutsu would mean "Gentle Art" and jujitsu would mean "Gentle Fighting" and Judo would mean "Gentle way"

I assume Jujitsu is used to refer to the Brazilian style because it is rather combat oriented, or at least more so than Judo. For example, in Judo the sweep Ouchi-gari (Large Inner Reap) you break an opponents balance left rear corner and sweep his left leg from the inside with your right leg so he falls backward. In BJJ, you break an opponents balance left rear corner, slam your right knee into his groin, and sweep his left leg from the inside with your right leg so he falls backward, writhing in pain. :o

In terms of techniques shared between Jujitsu and Karate...

Karate is a striking art. Judo and Jujitsu are grappling arts. Karate does occasionally have some sweeps, trips, and throws, but does not out much of an emphsis on off-balancing. Judo does include strikes at very advanced level, but they are not a primary focus. For Judo, at least, Dr. Kano said that the ultimate goal was "perfection of character" , and character development is common in the martials arts and ways, so in that sense Judo and Karate do share ideals.