• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How common is it for people to skip ranks? I do not mean skipping the knowledge required but ie...going from white belt to yellow with green stripe or from yellow/green stripe to green with blue stripe

If you think you can't, then you must. If you must, you will.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is very uncommon in the systems that i have been involved with, unless the student has had some sort of prior knowledge. most likely they were black belts in another system or style.

:nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

Hi Rush,

I agree.

I have never seen anyone skip rank, unless they ere already a Black Belt in another style.

Even then it was left up to the individual.

Still love ya. :bigwink:

Peace,

Tae :wink:

Kyoshi Deborah R. Williams 7th Dan

Founder/Senoir Instructor Tae Su Jutsu

Board member International Martial arts Association.

"Before destruction one's heart is haughty, but humility goes before honor."

Proverbs 18:12

What's the point of starting a new MA if u'r just gonna skip ranks... See, that's why i don't like the belt system...

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

angus....the skipping just causes you to learn twice the knowledge before the next test. It is a blessing and a curse, because now I must learn 2 forms and 10 one steps and perfect them all before the next testing, if I want to live up to this so called honor that the Grand Master bestowed upon me.

tae and rushman: no i am not a black belt in any other system or style. My prior experience is in fencing and archery.

If you think you can't, then you must. If you must, you will.

also, just because your of highter rank you are still expected to learn everything from the beginning.............basically your still a white belt with a lot of knowledge.......its not about the belt its about the knowledge........

.....futhermore, for identification purposes of knowledge you should hold the black belt.

of course thats my humble opinion.

.....each school is different and some do make you a white belt regardless of previous training.

:nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

I wouldn't accept it if someone said that i could just do this and skip ranks. Who needs a belt anyway? Have i told my story about the brown belt? No? Well, i'm quite tipsy at the moment so i think i will (i've been partying - hehehehe)...

This guy at HapkIdo was getting real fresh with me in sparring cos he knew i'd done some nasty stuff before so he wanted to spar hard - i gave him HARD!! I kicked the guy around the room and i was only a white belt! Hahahaha, that'l teach 'em!

Angus :spitlaugh: :spitlaugh: :spitlaugh:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

sometimes when a person comes from a different school or association that does the same martial art, they are started at white-belt and pretty much have to prove themselves before attaining the equivalent rank of their old school. They can't just take anyone's word for it, or even certificates anymore. Too many McDojo's out there.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

How many levels of belts does everyone have to go through to get to black?

At my dojang they use the following:

White

Yellow

Orange, Orange Senior

Green, Green Senior

Blue, Blue Senior

Purple, Purple Senior

Brown, Brown Senior

Red, Red Senior

Red Black

Black.

While I enjoyed testing every few months it got a bit expensive. 16 belts through to black took me about 4 years to obtain 1st dan.

:karate:

Bob Daveant

1st Degree Black Belt: TaeKwonDo

Kim's Martial Arts School, Avon, Ohio