• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Wing Chun, centerline theory concerns the defense of your centerline....think of an imaginary line going down from the middle of your head to your genitals. In the area of that line is where most of your vital spots are and they have to be protected. In Wing Chun you protect that line and at the same time aim to penetrate the opponent's. This involves guarding the central line at all times and learning to defend and attack without exposing it.

Of course the centerline theory is not only a Wing Chun theory but a general CMA theory. In a real battle, exposing your central line to a kung fu expert would mean certain death - if he is that way inclined that is.

The theory is simple but the application and the techniques required are not.

One can expand on what I have said but this is basically a simple explanation for a simple concept.

Kung Fu Man

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.

In Wing Chun you protect that line and at the same time aim to penetrate the opponent's.
I would say that your aim should be to take the opponents core line get them off of your center line, you do not want to go head (centerline) to head (centerline) with anyone. But other than that pretty good short explanation.

Wing Chun Kuen Alliance

https://www.wing-chun.us

I would read the: "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee, he does a great job of explaining it.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

I would read the: "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee, he does a great job of explaining it.

I don't exactly agree with all aspects of this theory, But this is a good source to learn about it... :)

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

whoa....

back up a bit.

before you start to explain what might be different versions of a centreline theory, all of which might be and probably are correct), i think you should start by first saying that:

centreline theory is a set of principles within certain arts that take as their point of reference, the centreline as a means to attack and defend.

the centreline, along with the motherline creates a plane along which you work.

footwork, stance swithces, pivoting and handwork are then all about manipulating and generally controlling, gaining control of and maintaining control of the space between you and your opponent.

with that said, every style is going to have a slightly different take.

some styles even have a different idea of what is a centreline.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

My Si-Fu has written an article on this very subject that will appear in the Australian Blitz magazine. I know that doesn't help you now and probably won't help at all considering you are 4000km away but you never know your luck.

Of course the centerline theory is not only a Wing Chun theory but a general CMA theory. In a real battle, exposing your central line to a kung fu expert would mean certain death - if he is that way inclined that is.

cinterline is not unique to cma. bjj, judo and thai boxing all have their use of it as well. it's more prevalent in bjj than the other two though.