• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best karate-gi for kata performance

Vinson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best? Tokaido, Shureido or Hirota do-gi, tournament cut. #10 or Hirota's #163 fabric (does NOT mean oz - #10 is approximately 16 oz).

Cheaper possibilities: Kamikaze Monarch, Kamikaze America and similar ones.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Does it matter what gi makes the loudest snap? If you are only worried about the superficial aspects of kata, then you can learn to hit yourself on hikite and dampen the cuffs of your gi to make them heavier (snap). That may impress some judges, but not me.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

There is two ways to get a good snap with your gi.

One is to have strong technique, the other is to use a lot of starch on your gi.

I prefer the former option

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Does it matter what gi makes the loudest snap? If you are only worried about the superficial aspects of kata, then you can learn to hit yourself on hikite and dampen the cuffs of your gi to make them heavier (snap). That may impress some judges, but not me.

Agreed. Just because the gi makes a sound when you punch/kick does not mean you have good technique or power. Concentrate on learning your art and being the best you can be in it, not making noise.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Just asked a simple question, man, and what do you get? Lectures. I know very well that good strong techniques are more important, but try your good strong techniques in a flimsy gi and see if you could impress the judges. :evil:

Hong Kong Kendokai

3rd Dan

Just asked a simple question, man, and what do you get? Lectures. I know very well that good strong techniques are more important, but try your good strong techniques in a flimsy gi and see if you could impress the judges. :evil:

I've been a judge and referee since about 1980...I can tell the difference and a snapping gi doesn't influence me one bit.

If it does the judges you are going in front of...you have lousy judges IMHO.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Good judges won't care what kind of gi you're wearing, as long as it's reasonably clean, and your techniques are good.

I've placed with higher scores with a medium weight Pro Force gi (almost no "snap" to it), than I did with a heavyweight Kime gi.

Now, if you're looking for a good quality gi that will last you a while, be comfortable, and look good, then I would recommend taking a look at the Kamikaze (or Juka) brand of uniforms. Many of their uniforms are a very comfortable brushed cotton canvas, and so far, I've found them to be quite durable.