• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Meditating before class

Corpand

I spoke to a Sensei who told me that it really helps to focus through class if you meditate before class. What benefits do you think this could actually bring?

If I dont have it you don't need it!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Relaxing, concentrating to the class.

I personally prefer "active meditation" and cut the zen-gibberish away by warming up and preparing that way to training. It'll relax you, warm up your body and makes you ready to training both mentally and physically.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Relaxing, concentrating to the class.

I personally prefer "active meditation" and cut the zen-gibberish away by warming up and preparing that way to training. It'll relax you, warm up your body and makes you ready to training both mentally and physically.

Amen

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

We meditate before and after training. It's like Jussi Hakkinen wrote, it relaxes you and lets you concentrate.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

We dont do this in our school and I wouldnt anyway because of my religious beliefs which excludes this and no I am not going to expound or argue why

:)

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Same here, Shotokankid. We meditate, before and after class. We also do "breathing" exercises. To me, it's to clear my mind ... I read someone on here say that it is time for them to tell their brain to shut up and start listening. I thought that was a perfect quote LOL. I think it was Hudson, I believe. It's basically what I do for the meditation at the beginning of class. The after class one, I reflect on what we did.

Laurie F

During meditation you should try to achieve the same state of mind as when doing a kata, which basically means you should try to achive the state of mind as when doing karate. The mind of no-mind or no thoughts that is called mushin also zanshin or total awareness.

hara wo neru

We do a bit of meditation as well.

It really helps to leave your everyday worries and distractions at the door.

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Our school meditates before class. It doesn't have to be taken as a religious exercise. We use it to focus on the task at hand, and try to put all the problems of that day in the back of our minds. Meditation can also be helpful if you need to concentrate on a specific thing, even a Bible passage you have just read, which I have done. I sometimes gain a better understanding of what I have just read by meditating on it for a little while.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

We use it to focus on the task at hand, and try to put all the problems of that day in the back of our minds. Meditation can also be helpful if you need to concentrate on a specific thing, even a Bible passage you have just read, which I have done. I sometimes gain a better understanding of what I have just read by meditating on it for a little while.

Amen true dat!

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"