• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What does BB really mean to you?

But I still believe that both the white belt and the black belt should be held to the same mental standard. The physical standard will come with time.

I'm not sure I agree with this. One can learn the mental aspects of the arts just as one can learn the physical aspects.

Sure, some walk in off the street with the right mental attitude, and for the right reasons. Just as some walk in off the street with the physical ability to execute advanced techniques and movements.

But some also walk in without strength in either or both of those areas. A good teacher will help them improve in both of those.

I agree there are some basics that you have to adhere to from day 1 both physically and mentally. But beyond that, if a BB hasn't advanced mentally or in attitude in the x number of years they took to reach that level, I think that either something hasn't worked, or they were the exception rather than the rule.

In my limited experience, I've already seen changes in some of our students attitude-wise in the months since they've joined. Sure, some with attitude issues* fell by the wayside, but some really do develop mentally as they also progress physically.

Just like you can't expect somebody on day 1 to execute advanced physical techniques, you also cannot expect them to exhibit the same committment and attitude of a multi-year practioner.

*When I say attitude issues, I don't mean somebody who is disruptive... that should not be tolerated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm sure if I had my own I might feel a bit different but as is now Blackbelts don't seen to mean anything anymore. Unless you don't know anything about MA or are new to the scene.

They might be well earned in some dojo's but they aren't in far many more.

Kanpai!

CrippledFingers you say BB don't mean anything? I guess that would depend on the school and the MA? All MA's have great value if taught realistically and correctly. Usually when MA's are taught correctly you will see that the students are tough bastards. The reason you get so many MA's out there that can't hold thier own in a real fight is because certain schools want to have lots of students so they make money. So basically they will train anyone. In the old days they only trained people with some talent for fighting. Just like someone with drawing talent, studies art on a level only few can do. Sure someone who dedicates themselves to an art can eventually be good at it, but that raw talent will always have an upper hand. BB's who are fighters before they studied MA's are few and far between, but they do exist and they are dangerous. So your blanket statement has holes in it.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Not there yet, I have at least another 2 year to go. To me, a BB should be ultimately confident, but never arrogant. Have a clear knowledge of their art, but always be open to learn. Be a good judge of themselves and others, but not get carried away.

For me, MA is about the little changes. An old friend saying you look taller, though you've not grown an inch. Finding you've acquired a bad habit, and changing it before anyone says something. Becoming more open to people and more comfortable with yourself, and recognizing how much you've changed, and how little.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.