• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Alternative View of Kata Training

AnonymousOne

I'd just like to say it's very encouraging to know that dedication to kata really exists... Difficult to see this sometimes when people wave trophies in your face like competition is the true meaning of karate - especially when the person who won said trophies doesn't understand the bunkai of the kata (or it isn't 'cool' enough to admit to knowing)!

Walk your talk - please walk your talk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Good article. However, you are missing one important component of Kata training/development. Yes, it's important to break down components of kata and develop them individually. It is also important to work on Kata at full speed and work on breathing timing that applies to kata movements. Both as you state well. The important part you are missing in your article that is critical for complete kata development is "phrasing" of kata. This is after you have reasonably developed the above basic components of kata. Phrasing of kata is where you take two or three (could even be four) components of a kata and develop them as a phrase - just like a musician works of phrasing of passages for speed and fluidity. So just like stated above, you take now take your kata and work over and over on your first phrase... Then the next phrase and next phrase. Now you truly have a meaningful and complete kata workout.

Learning kata is truly an art. I also believe in the 3 yr time span to to truly learn a kata. But you can work on more than one kata at a time - I think this is where eveyone get confused on this concept. The outside movements can be learned in a month or two - the easy part. However, to fully learn the inside movements and application of a kata, this truly does take years.

- Killer -

I coulden't have said it any better ,as for kankudai ,it is one of my favourites too!

never give up !

when i was younger, i wasn't a fan of kata. I have grown to appreciate it greatly now that my understanding has broadened

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."