• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Popularity among youth students

How does one achieve this? I talk with the students in a friendly manner. I want to become popular with the youth students and be nice to them but I'm afraid they wont take me as seriously when I tell them to line up or something. I want to be a friend but one that they will respect.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Be friendly but not a friend. It also depends on your age too. Our jr leadership team has trouble telling older students how to do things because they sometimes won't listen to them.

Be friendly but not a friend. It also depends on your age too. Our jr leadership team has trouble telling older students how to do things because they sometimes won't listen to them.

I'm 14, but the older students tend to listen to me as well as, if not better than, the younger students.

I agree with "be friendly but not a friend." However, I believe that how much the students like you isn't really important. I am a fairy strict instructor and although I keep the class fun and active I make it very clear that I am in charge, and it is hard for many of the younger students to like me because of this. You have to remember that your job is to supply them with the knowledge to help them in a potentialy violent situation, you are not a babysitter or a friend. However, you also have to remember that younger students need positive reinforcement and fun. Make the class fun, this dosn't mean you have to the "popular" instructor all the kids like. I am satisfied if the students respect me and go home knowing something more about martial arts or life in general. To me having a student come to class early just to ask me to help them with something before their class begins brings more satisfaction than a student telling me how much they like me.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

give it time and be super friendly tell them about how glad you are that they came. Establish clear boundries about the acceptable behavior in class and you should be fine. Mostly relax have fun and they will too.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

Thanks everyone!

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• 2 weeks later...
How does one achieve this? I talk with the students in a friendly manner. I want to become popular with the youth students and be nice to them but I'm afraid they wont take me as seriously when I tell them to line up or something. I want to be a friend but one that they will respect.

I agree with the be friendly but not a friend. Also remember the students names. It helps them see you care about them and want to help them. :karate:

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....

*Echoes what everyone else said*

One more thing. If you're serious, try and remember one thing about each person, and ask them about it whenever you seen them (obviously, this can be overdone). It helps them know you actually know who they are and something about them (even if it is only one thing). It'll also help you to remember their names if you associate them with something.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Be genuine and nice, but always remember: "familiarity breeds disrespect". Don't get too close with students and lose your authority. And of course, don't be so concerned with becoming their "friends" or being popular with them that you make sacrifices or let things "slide" to be "cool".

Be yourself, be down to earth, and don't be a pushover.

If I'm being short it's because it's 1:14a.m. I'm tired. :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I teach a small class. Most of my students were my friends prior to joining my class. It can present some problems of some horseplay during class but not to the point of disrespect. Many people that I teach in my instructor's class become my friends and I welcome their friendship. Making friends in training is one thing that I love about teaching martial arts.

Sorry, but it looks like I'm going in the opposite direction of the majority on this subject but I do understand your point of view and why you say what you do.......I just love making new friends! :D ........and they are respectful to me!

What works works

Sorry, but it looks like I'm going in the opposite direction of the majority on this subject but I do understand your point of view and why you say what you do.......I just love making new friends! :D ........and they are respectful to me!

I don't think you went in the opposite direction. Some people have difficulty finding the subtle balance between friend and leader. Some people can be both, you have found your balance and your students have responded to it.

I mostly teach young children, so being friendly but keeping structure is the key to a good class for me.

On the rare occasion when I have taught adults, the class structure is there because they are paying for the classes, they want to be there and they want to learn. I could loosen up a bit and get down to the nitty gritty. I am also friends with mostly everyone I train with. :D

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....