• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Running, Karate and Peak Performance

AnonymousOne

fartlek?

Heee...I used to have a tshirt that had "Fartlek...It's a running thing, you wouldn't understand" on it.

It's a swedish term meaning "speed play," and it's a way to make interval training more bearable and doable away from a track. It's not as defined as track workouts; it's something that you generally come up with yourself, or your coach comes up with.

For example, for me, in the middle of a long run, I'll do something like...5K pace to that light post, then jog to that sign, then 5K pace again to the next light post. Repeat 5 or 6 times.

Bursts of high output followed by recovery are the best way to boost your speed, and you can do a workout like that on a track or a less structured one (fartlek) on your regular running path. It's fun and really helps with your race pace without having to hit the track.

Hope this helps!

Brenda

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Brenda, I'm also a lifelong runner who came to karate 18 months ago - I've given up running for a bit now because of perpetual colds/ coughs in the winter. Anyway, my flexibility was really crap when I started too - it's a runner thing. But it's improved constantly and fairly dramatically through my karate training so stick with it!

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

I've given up running for a bit now because of perpetual colds/ coughs in the winter. Anyway, my flexibility was really crap when I started too - it's a runner thing. But it's improved constantly and fairly dramatically through my karate training so stick with it!

Hi Fish,

I'm so glad winters are mild enough that winter running isn't a big deal where I live. When I can't run, I get really, really cranky.

It's good to hear that I'll get better with the flexibility. It's been so much fun so far, much more than I expected before I started, that I can't see stopping now!

Thanks!

Brenda

Great read AnonymousOne!

I currently train in kenpo & Aikido. Formerly a high school football player & wrestler, i hated runing with a passion. I'm currently 25 yrs. old, and have been back in the martial arts for a year after a 14 year long abscence. But, reading your inspiring article, makes me want to go out right now and run some laps around my property. I'm gonna do so later today. Great article!

kenpo_fighter

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

Great read AnonymousOne!

I currently train in kenpo & Aikido. Formerly a high school football player & wrestler, i hated runing with a passion. I'm currently 25 yrs. old, and have been back in the martial arts for a year after a 14 year long abscence. But, reading your inspiring article, makes me want to go out right now and run some laps around my property. I'm gonna do so later today. Great article!

kenpo_fighter

Thanks

I hope your property is very big, like 5,000 square miles Haha

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing