AnonymousOne

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for passing that on.. I love running, and I run a lot in conjunction with my karate training... I feel it's very important for overall fitness and stamina

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

I'm considering buying a treadmill.

Your thoughts please!!

Hi Pineapple,

For me treadmill running can never beat being outside, on my favorite path. I don't have one at home, but I certainly use the ones at my gym and when I visit my mom.

Sometimes, you can't beat it. Weather, darkness, air quality, traffic, etc. can all make running outside nearly impossible. Their cushioning surface is often easier on the legs, and you'll know your workout to the last calorie and hill repeat. In fact, there was an Alaskan runner who trained for her marathon solely on a treadmill, who won the 2000 US Women Olympic marathon trials. That much running on a treadmill would drive me batty, but different strokes and all that.

If you're looking for brand recommendations, the only thing I can say is look for some necessary features, and expect to lay out some bucks for a good model. A sturdy base and a wide belt are both key, and look for something with a powerful motor so that constant running doesn't fry it. My mom has a cheap treadmill that has all of those problems, and it's a nightmare to run on. It suits her okay, but she only walks on it. One that is progammable is great if you want to throw in some hill workouts or intervals.

Wait, here's an article from Runner's World with their 2005 recommendations...

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-52-0-0-7807,00.html

It looks like the picks start at about 600 bucks and go up pretty steep. If I were looking for a treadmill and couldn't afford those prices, I'd check the classified ads and garage sales. Treadmills tends to get sold cheap when people realize they've really just bought a huge clothing rack. Definitely take any treadmill you're considering for a test run.

The article doesn't list the belt widths, which I would have thought was essential. Narrow belts make me tense up and make my shins try to cramp up. I've also accidently stepped half on the belt, half on the stationary base, and nearly did a face plant. No fun at all.

And here's a longer RW article about treadmill running with some of their older picks.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-52-0-0-5915-1-1X2X3X4-5,00.html

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Brenda

Your thoughts please!!

Hi Pineapple,

For me treadmill running can never beat being outside, on my favorite path. I don't have one at home, but I certainly use the ones at my gym and when I visit my mom.

Same here.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

thanks for your advuce too!

when I played rugby in college, my coach said you could also stretch thouroughly before bed, then rub your shins down with icy hot, and sleep with long athletic socks pulled all the way up to the bottom of your knee. this helpos a little, but they still always come back.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

... but they still always come back.

Hmmm, that sounds frustrating. Is there a good running store in your area? I notice you're in Charlotte, NC. There's a Charlotte store listed on some running resource websites called Run for Your Life that looks promising.

They often can watch you run and analyze the wear pattern on your shoes (bring in your current running shoes), to see if there's something that either shoes or orthotics might help. For example, if you severely overpronate and aren't running in motion control shoes, you'll definitely have problems. And they'll probably know the best local sports doctors, if it looks like you need one.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Brenda

thank you.

theres also a couple of old practice fields at the UNCC campus. sometimes i'll run on those in the grass and its more forgiving that on pavement. i also like to subsistute jumprope and swimming for cardio too. anyone who has acess to a pool. swimming is great cardio for martial arts.

you can also practice kata or kicking/punching drills in the shallow end . working out in water is fun and good for you, and swimming laps will build lean muscle and endurance.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

Your thoughts please!!

For me personally its not useful. My training demands running that is rather unusual. It includes:

Steady state

Pacing

Fartlek

Sprinting

Agility exercises included.

The purpose of my running for the most part is to develop anaerobic capability.

For example some mornings I will follow this programme called Pyramid system:

4 mile run steady state in 24 minutes

Sprint 800 metres

50 burpees

Sprint 600 metres

50 pushups

Sprint 400 metres

50 burpees

Sprint 200 metres

50 pushups

Sprint 100 metres

50 burpees

This type of sequence is designed for anaerobic capability and explosive power. Its grueling training. I couldnt do that on a tread mill.

Besides running outside is rather nice. I dont not run because of the weather. I run no matter what the weather is.

One can buy an all weather water proof running suit which is excellent.

Fighting the weather is easier than an opponent who you may have to face one day.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing