AnonymousOne

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boxing trainer used to tell me that if a person could do just one thing to prepare for a fight, it would be to run.

He always said that a well conditioned fighter can beat a more skillful opponent who is not conditioned.

That is true to some extent. However modern top boxing coaches are now against too much aerobic running and cut it back and add in anaerobic running, such as included jumps, obstacles etc as well as sprinting.

Here is an excellent article on running and boxing:

"You'd Better Do Your Roadwork"

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym1.htm

"Running and bag work will not prepare your body for the vigors associated with a grueling fight. What a running program WILL do however, is enhance your ability to sustain more intense sparring sessions. If you take a boxer who goes to the gym every day but never runs, and match him against an evenly skilled fighter who does his roadwork religiously, I'm willing to bet that at least 9 out of 10 times, the winner will be the boxer who has been running"

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

any cure for shin splints?

i think thats what it is. my shins hurt and it feels like to the bone on the inside lower leg when i run long distances.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

i think thats what it is. my shins hurt and it feels like to the bone on the inside lower leg when i run long distances.

Never had that problem myself. Best to see a doctor

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

My boxing trainer used to tell me that if a person could do just one thing to prepare for a fight, it would be to run.

He always said that a well conditioned fighter can beat a more skillful opponent who is not conditioned.

That is true to some extent. However modern top boxing coaches are now against too much aerobic running and cut it back and add in anaerobic running, such as included jumps, obstacles etc as well as sprinting.

Here is an excellent article on running and boxing:

"You'd Better Do Your Roadwork"

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym1.htm

"Running and bag work will not prepare your body for the vigors associated with a grueling fight. What a running program WILL do however, is enhance your ability to sustain more intense sparring sessions. If you take a boxer who goes to the gym every day but never runs, and match him against an evenly skilled fighter who does his roadwork religiously, I'm willing to bet that at least 9 out of 10 times, the winner will be the boxer who has been running"

I was getting ready to post about that. How much running you should do is under debate in the fight world. I definitely wouldn't recommend 5 miles per day - maybe three at the most.

Anyway, good article.

I was getting ready to post about that. How much running you should do is under debate in the fight world. I definitely wouldn't recommend 5 miles per day - maybe three at the most. Anyway, good article.

Aerobic work is great for basic conditioning, but a fighter must, absolutely must include anaerobic work.

The sheer nature of combat requires anaerobic capability.

7th Dan Chidokai

Hi!

I'm a runner who recently started taking shotokan karate (a little more than a month now, and I'm really liking it). So far, my favorite is kata. I'm still learning heian shodan, but Thursday night, the instructor and two other black belts demonstrated their team kata (I can't remember which they did) and it was the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

For a runner coming to karate, I do find that my endurance is better than average during a karate class, but my flexibility is for crap (which is pretty common in runners).

I've been reading the boards, kinda hanging out, but when I saw the shin splint question, I said, I can help with that!

Shin splints...a common runner problem. There are a number of things that can help. I'd do four things. One is look to your shoes. Are they suited for running and how old are they? If they've lost their cushioning (which can happen in as little as three months of running), that can cause a problem. Two is check on your achilles tendon tightness. It sounds weird, but a tight achilles increases the amount of pounding that your shins are taking when you run. Stretch that achilles. Three, is have you bumped up your mileage, changed the surface you run on (more running on concrete, for example), or added speed work lately? Too big of a change in your running, and your shins can rebel. Last, is RICE, rest, ice, compression, elevation. I ice after every run, and it's amazing how much it helps. I use gel packs that I keep in the freezer.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Brenda