• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

FIRST WEAPONS

Had several knives, couple of sticks the length of an escrima stick and a wooden dowel for a makeshift bo in my teen years. I now have an actual practice knife but am barely able to figure out how it is applied to my forms. I have been shown that Ba-Sai is often done as a single or double knife form but have ways to go on it still.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was eight years old. It was a blued model 29 83/4" .44mag S&W. Before that I was given a buck folding knife and taught how to use it.

Shortly thereafter the nunchuks. then sword and then the bo.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

For me it was sai and bo when I did Shito Ryu karate.

Now I'm Okinawan Goju Ryu and we don't do any weapons, but thats ok because I also do katana, wakazashi, jo and tanjo.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine was a .30-.30 for deer hunting, and only for deer hunting. Shooting a deer is no problem, shooting people is WAY outta my leauge.

First MA weapon: kali sticks

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

I started training myself in knife fighting with a group of friends shortly after seeing The Hunted. After some of us started going to kuntao classes one of our teachers, an ex-marine, showed us some more knife fighting technique. First weapon that is actually in our curriculum (kinda...we actually used a Shaolin-do form) was the short staff.

36 styles of danger

• 3 months later...

First weapon was a butterknife then i graduated up to the steak knife then the big barbecue knife and poker prong thingies. I also play around with coat hangers after i take my gi off them and get dressed (provided i didnt just roll up my gi).

Otherwise i learned escrima sticks although technically i wasnt a high enough belt rank to start learning, but its confusing but no one else where i go really knows anything cause it was at a seminar from another dojo who we are associated with who does other weapons and some different ones. So we practiced for a while but then i was really the only person who kept on practicing at home so eventually i had to reteach part of the kata to some other people. But later in our curriculum after i get to a higher rank i will start learning bo and sai and tonfa.

Focus

• 4 weeks later...