• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshin-Ryu Karate rollcall

isshinryu5toforever

that'd be great. Advinula studied under Nagle right? Now, he's under Shinsho Shimabuku whom he supports as the head of Isshin-Ryu I believe? But yeah, that info would be appreciated, thank you very much

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After studying Tae Kwon Do for 8 years, and then taking 12 years away from martial arts, I am back into martial arts. I currently study Isshin-Ryu Karate and Kodokan Judo.

Ted

Advinula studied under Nagle right?

It is my understanding that Sensei Advincula is a 1st Generation student of O-Sensei Shimabuku, having started with O-Sensei in the mid 50's. He is also credited with the original design of the Isshin ryu patch, with the outline in the form of an Isshin ryu fist.

Although I have never made it to one of his seminars, I am told by those that have that it is very much worth it, if you can possibly make one.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

Hi all,

First post to this fourm. A bit about myself. I have been a practitioner of Isshinryu Karate since 1975. I first began training with Joel Buckles from Bayonne NJ (sorry miss spelled his name) until 1978. Then I trained with Phil Moilinero and still with him today. I have trained in Okinawa from 1991 until 1995 with Master Ungi Uezu. I have had great fortune to have trained with many of the Okinawan Masters and have meet Master Shimabukoro prior to his death. I have been inactive for two years now due to injuries but will go back soon. I hold Isshinryu the foundation of my being and I do supplement with other styles like Escrema, Aikido, Kobudo, and other forms of Martial Arts.

Advinula studied

under Nagle right?

It is my understanding that Sensei Advincula is a 1st Generation student of O-Sensei Shimabuku, having started with O-Sensei in the mid 50's. He is also credited with the original design of the Isshin ryu patch, with the outline in the form of an Isshin ryu fist.

Although I have never made it to one of his seminars, I am told by those that have that it is very much worth it, if you can possibly make one.

Hello all, just thought I would chime in....Advincula sensei(my sensei's sensei) studied directly under Shimabuku Tatsuo on Okinawa for 7 1/2 years...He was on Okinawa when O'Sensei passed in 1975. In fact his wife, who is Okinawan, is also a 1st generation student of O'Sensei, and the only woman to train under him.

He designed the 1st Megami patch, and in addition to Isshin-Ryu, he has black belts in Goju-Ryu, Shorin-ryu, Uechi-Ryu, Hindiandi kung fu, and escrima. I have been to his seminars and they are more than worth the price of admission.

Hope this helps. :)

p.s. About his seminars and for more info goto https://www.msisshinryu.com

tons of Isshin-Ryu stuff there. :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

Hi all,

First post to this fourm. A bit about myself. I have been a practitioner of Isshinryu Karate since 1975. I first began training with Joel Buckles from Bayonne NJ (sorry miss spelled his name) until 1978. Then I trained with Phil Moilinero and still with him today. I have trained in Okinawa from 1991 until 1995 with Master Ungi Uezu. I have had great fortune to have trained with many of the Okinawan Masters and have meet Master Shimabukoro prior to his death. I have been inactive for two years now due to injuries but will go back soon. I hold Isshinryu the foundation of my being and I do supplement with other styles like Escrema, Aikido, Kobudo, and other forms of Martial Arts.

Welcome. I'm from Jersey too. Are you attending the 2nd annual Isshinryu Friendship Tourny in Lebenon, PA? You can get all the info at https://www.oikka.com 1/2 the procedes go directly to Master Uezu, so it's a chance to give back to him. If you decide to go, I just might see you there!

"Pain is weakness leaving the body".....my Makiwara tells me so.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

lets bump this back up.

Hi,

I am from North East Ohio and am a sho dan. i can't remember what my lineage is right off the top of my head. i do know that we are part of the IWKA, so some where it must go back to Kichiro Shimabuku

xXSaiWarriorXx

what school do you train at?